Comparing long-acting insulins

I’m really looking forward to seeing how that goes for you. What day are you planning to start?

I’m seeing my endo on Tuesday, so if I get a sample that day, I’ll start Tuesday night…

I am really eager to hear how well it works for you. Fingers corssed, @Jen!

Cool! Are you going to get enough to at least trial for a few weeks? Eg get a sample starter and an rx ?

Yes. I’m going to ask if he has a sample (he may or may not) and also for a prescription for probably three months.

1 Like

I’m excited for you… going to be really cool…

Probably a little late, BUT you might want to ring ahead and ask for them to stock the Triseba. Our new endo office recommends we call if we want samples so they can have them on hand. Saves a trip. :slight_smile:

Good luck! I’ll be crossing my fingers for better control.

I’m often wondering if Triseba worked for someone, if they could pump for bolus and not their basal. Although maybe too much of a hassle. But the ease of correcting on a pump is there. Don’t have to get anything out and set it up for yet another correction as he did on MDI.

I think the main disadvantage of this is that insulin could crystalize in the tubing if it’s sitting for too long without moving. But I’ve heard of people doing the “untethered regimen” where they use long-acting insulin for part of their basal (say 50% or 75%) and use a pump for the rest of their basal as well as bolus. This makes sure there’s no risk of extremely high BGs from site failures (the main disadvantage of a pump) while still allowing the ability to do temporary basal rates.

3 Likes

Some people do this and they’ll just turn their pump basal down super super low to the minimum setting to keep it flowing through the tube but take the vast vast majority of their basal with tresib. They call this “pumping untethered” which to me seems like an extremely ironic name. I don’t personally understand why anyone would want to do this… seems to be negating any potential benefit of the pump while still having all the negatives of having an insulin pump… but some people seem to think otherwise and people seem to do well with it

2 Likes

The name comes from the fact that you can disconnect your pump at any time for hours at a time with no consequences. Normally you can’t remove your pump for more than an hour without BGs rising (for some it’s even shorter).

Without experience using a pump, it’s really hard to judge positives and negatives. One of the negatives of a pump is that you need to stay connected a vast majority of the time, which this regimen removes. Another negative is having unexpected interruptions in insulin delivery that result in very high BG and possible DKA, which this regimen removes. The benefits of the pump are being able to adjust basal rates and boluses in ways that can’t be done with MDI and being able to take insulin very discreetly and without an extra injection, which this regimen preserves.

1 Like

Ok I can agree that there are some potential benefits, it’s just not something I’d personally be interested in… but I agree that it provides the potential for very good control…

If Tresiba alone doesn’t work out for me, I’d seriously consider doing an untethered regimen with it. I’ve tried untethered with Lantus and not had good success, but I think a perfectly flat basal would be excellent for this use.