Clarity clarity

Hi Everyone-
I am fiddling around with those reports on Clarity and wondering which ones you all find most useful. For me, a person with recently diagnosed Type 1 LADA, it’s hard to discern what information is actually even important other than the actual numbers I’m obsessively checking on the Dexcom screen :crazy_face:
Jennifer

2 Likes

@jpf I use Nightscout the most (I use Loop and Dash as an AID and it’s associated), but also look at Clarity from time to time. Both have very similar charting functions/reports. The things I look for are TIR, GMI (projected A1c), a BG average, Std Dev, and COV. I think the most useful info is TDD (Total Daily Dose of Basil/Bolus) changes over time, along with the “spaghetti charts” showing multiple days overlayed to spot trends of areas that can point to needed basil and bolus changes. Basil changes can be determined by non-post meal periods and bolus changes/needed adjustments in timing can be determined by high spikes post meal that go too high or don’t resolve/return to lower numbers within a couple of hours. I think these are the items Endo’s/Docs look for as well to see how we’re doing over time (history) and changes needed in basil/bolus dosing. It’s easy to obsessed by these and it’s natural when first dx’d (I know I did). Your response/use of them will change over time, but it’s important to do a review when you “feel” there’s been a negative/positive change in results and every few months; but don’t feel odd if you do it more often at first.

6 Likes

I like to keep my life real simple so I just monitor the average glucose in the summary function.
If the average remains below 120 then my A1C stays below 6% which is ideal for me.

4 Likes

I don’t really use much reporting, but I have looked at the Clarity reports a little bit in the past to see what they can do.

I think the most useful thing would be to see trends. Like if you are often high at the same time of the day, you can make adjustments for that time, depending on if it’s after a meal or whatnot.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the responses. It’s good to know I’m not missing something important.
This is all so new to me - only having been diagnosed in late January. The crisis is still fresh in my mind.

6 Likes

Welcome to the LADA club. My cardiologist still insists it doesn’t exist. Clarity is helpful to see time in range. But I guess you can change parameters to make TIR look better. I find the A1c prediction is always higher than a lab. Other than that I don’t really look at it much.

2 Likes

I think it is helpful to look at the overlay plots from the past week while that week is still fresh in your mind. The excursions into high BG will stick out like a sore thumb on those overlay plots. Back when I was freshly diagnosed the metric that was most impactful to me and helped me learn how to manage it was “# of high BG excursions per week” (this was before I had a CGM). To this day years later that is still how I use the Clarity reports…how many excursions above my range last week and what caused them?

3 Likes

That sounds like a very good place to start. Is a high glucose excursion considered over 180?
Please excuse my ignorance!

1 Like

@jpf don’t know who much help this will be but here it goes. I use the Dexcom G-6 and omnipod 5, omnipod 5 uploads to Glooko and of course Dexcom to Clarity. I have come to use the Glooko reporting almost exclusively becuase it contains full info of CGM as well as my omnipod in same reports. So I can see BG levels, averages, TIR etc as well as basal and bolus info. TDI, basal bolus ratios, daily insulin, average insulin used. I was not all inclusive in the list, but off hand I cannot think of anything in clarity that is not in Glooko, but Clarity only contains bolus dowsing, you could add up your daily basal used an add but that is not a lot of help, carbs etc.
And strictly personnel I was the TTIR ( tight time in range) of 80-140. Of course I do go above 140 but not very often. And belive me I do an intensive management program just to stay under 7.0 or less becuase of massive stomach/intestinal issues. Want to wish you the best of outcomes in your diabetes journey and say there is a lot of people here with really good info so by all means take advantage of it.

2 Likes

Everybody has their own definition…for me it is a sustained rise over 150 that took me several hours to bring back down into range. By sustained I mean lasting 2 + hours. Like that teal line on the graph…over 150 for about 3 hrs. and over 200 for 2 hrs. in the late morning (when I usually have no trouble staying in range). That got my attention. But the same sustained rise after dinner on a Friday night would be less anomalous and I would be relieved that it came back down so quickly.

3 Likes

Thank you- Really the biggest benefit to this forum is the personal experiences of the members. Doctors don’t give me that - they talk in generalities. So, thanks again!

1 Like

Got it. Your graph + explanation will help me make sense of my own! Thank you!

2 Likes

Are you on insulin yet? If you are not I would think the biggest benefit would be to show your provider when to start bolus or basal insulin. I think everyone’s lada honeymoon is different and can last years. Clarity can give your provider some valuable info. For example I needed mealtime insulin straight away but no basal insulin for several months.

2 Likes

Hi- thanks for your reply! No, not on insulin yet. I’ve heard that LADA honeymoons can last for years. I’ve only just realized that having a honeymoon doesn’t mean not having to inject insulin.

3 Likes