Changing basals šŸ¤”

I donā€™t understand this statement. My basal rates donā€™t vary this much ā€œbecause of hte pumpā€ they vary this much because of hormones. They varied this much when I was on Lantus, but I just couldnā€™t compensate for it so would spend weeks with my blood sugars running in the teens.

I do agree that basal and bolus adjustments can be clearer on MDI. I spent years on MDI, so Iā€™m not unfamiliar with it, and I do sometimes miss the simplicity. On the other hand, things arenā€™t simple anymore once youā€™re up to taking 8+ shots a day and having to wake in the middle fo the night each night to dose insulin. The big question is, as some have stated, whether Tresiba will be able to take ā€œcomplicatedā€ widely varying basal rates and insulin needs throughout the day/month and simplify control so that they arenā€™t issues anymore. Weā€™ll see how that goes.

1 Like

This is what I tend to see, but itā€™s never entirely consistent from month to month:

Week #1, first half (start of period): massive reduction in basal rates and ratios needed, constant unrelenting lows that can last for hours on end even with dosing carbs.
Week #1-2: small increase in basals and ratios needed, but this is the ā€œeasyā€ week when I can get nice flat linesā€¦I think this is what diabetes is like for most people all the timeā€¦
Week #2, latter half: moderate increase in basal rates and ratios needed, this week is inconsistent and tends to be a combination of highs and lows, as if hormones are fluctuating somewhat.
Week #3-4: massive increase in basal and ratios needed, and often these two weeks I struggle to stay in range even with these increases.

These are not divided strictly into weeks. Sometimes itā€™s a week minus a day, sometimes a week plus two days. Sometimes my TDD changes by 100% throughout the month, sometimes my TDD only changes by 40%. And of course, this is all layered on top of other factors that impact my blood sugar, so my insulin needs could change more or less because of an illness or change in activity level or extra stress during that timeā€¦

For me, hormones are by far the hardest part of diabetes management. Harder than carbohydrates, harder than exercise, harder than illness or stress or medications or weather or anything else.

1 Like

Almost all of mine are exercise related, and can last for several days depending on what I am doing.

But outside of that, when I move from high to low carb for a few days I do a decrease in basal. That one might be worth noting - that changes in the amount of carbs might require a change in basal.

1 Like

Thanks. This is something I hadnā€™t considered as a variable. My carb intake has been steady at the conference (I bought my own food, so have literally been eating the same thing each day), so Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the reason in this case. Definitely will keep this in mind in future, though.

I just finished running a +100% basal for four hours plus correction with no change in my BG. This is after new site and insulin. I feel like Iā€™m the only adult who deals with these insane swings sometimes!

1 Like

Well I also have significant changes in basal, but they are generally not surprises. So maybe itā€™s just a matter of connecting dots, and figuring out reasons?

1 Like

Do any forms of birth control that change your cycles have an effect on your bg patterns ? Or have you looked into that? Might be a possibilityā€¦ seems like OBs are prescribing the 3 week on/ one off types of regimens to be taken every day instead (forgoing the 1 week off) to eliminate the menstrual cycle for a variety of womenā€™s issues these days, donā€™t know if it would apply in this case

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™ve never tried. Ruth control because suppressing a natural process for years on end (which is what Iā€™d need) weirdos me out, and my understanding is all birth control has risks of serious side effects if used long term.

1 Like

Might be worth discussing with your OB docā€¦

I agree about factors. But there are a dozen or more factors I try to account for already. Then there are times like this, when Iā€™ve literally been a robot for three days (same food, activity, weather, etc.) and still get totally unexpected chaos.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have one,so itā€™d be my endo or GP. Iā€™d be really squeamish taking something like birth control for the next 20 yearsā€¦ Might help my BGs at times, but not sure thatā€™s worth the increased risk of other conditions long-term use causes.

Plus, I donā€™t think all my problems are hormones, such as this latest issue. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s being caused by some other factor.

1 Like

Obviously not my field of expertiseā€¦ but I do know a ton of women are on them for that long and longer who donā€™t stand to reap and blood sugar control benefitsā€¦ I donā€™t really like the idea of them eitherā€¦ kept telling my wife they weird me out and she kept taking her concerns to obgyn docs about the concerns of long term side effects etc and theyā€™ve just constantly assured her that any risks are minuscule and do not outweigh the benefits (even for someone who doesnā€™t have menses caused diabetes chaos)

1 Like

So, no adjustment to basal aside from a 0.1 u/hr increase that I made yesterday morning, and this is the result I get overnight last night:

Maybe I just have really stubborn highs and lows and once I manage to break out of those things are relatively good?!

3 Likes

If I were brand-new here and didnā€™t know anything about you, I would have to ask: Is it possible that one of your little basal chunks is wrong, and thereā€™s a domino effect on all the others? (And it could be wrong but, with varying activity levels, carb intakes, hormones, you wouldnā€™t necessarily see a persistent pattern.) Letā€™s say one basal segment is too high. So you go low, you correct or overcorrect, and now youā€™re high but the next basal is too low, etc. on down the line. Iā€™ve run into this with my own adjustments a few times, and Iā€™ve had to go back to square one and assess, remove or adjust each one all over again.

Iā€™ve wondered about this, but whenever I do a fasting basal test I get a flatline. I donā€™t often change basal segments, only the total amount of basal up or down. But with my schedule being variable, itā€™s possible that a basal segment becomes too high or too low for what Iā€™m actually doing that day. Thatā€™s where factors and adjusting for them comes inā€¦ Bur Iā€™ve read varying things about that, with some suggesting you should try to figure out and adjust for all factors and others suggesting the ā€œwhyā€ doesnā€™t matter as long as youā€™re responding to changes as they happen

Good summary! Sometimes I do the former (such as consulting Eric on exercise) and other times the latter (such as waking up before the alarm and seeing that my BG is creeping up). Most of the time I feel like I am making it up as I go these days in contrast to believing (after diagnosis) that there were ā€œrulesā€ to I was supposed to follow to make it all work. :scream_cat:

1 Like

A question for other members in cold climates: cdo you find it necessary (or helpful?) to increase basal rates during the winter? :snowman:

1 Like

I generally increase basal during the fall/winter and decrease during the spring/summer. Except for now, apparently, when Iā€™ve had to drop it down. I donā€™t live Ina particularly cold climate, either.

1 Like

Just overnight, as above (beautiful line, by the way!), or morning, afternoon, and evening basals too?

What is your rationale? Because you donā€™t see a pattern at a particular time of day?

Just an aside note - are you verifying your CGM numbers with BG tests often enough? Sometimes my CGM is super wonky. Maybe you should rule that out if you havenā€™t already.

Yeah, every six months or so Iā€™ll spend a week fasting through all meals on different days. Most often Iā€™ll flarline. If I donā€™t, Iā€™ll fast through the same meal on another day. Sometimes the same pattern repeats, sometimes (more often) something different happens.

See above. Itā€™s rare that I have a pattern of highs or lows at the same time on different days. My endocrinologists and I have rarely ever been able to find patterns like that in my BG. My suspicion is that there are patterns related to particular activities, but I have yet to find a good way of tracking that sort of thing. Also, my control is great compared to the average person with T1, so all this would seem to be nitpicking to my doctors.

2 Likes