Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) and Muay Thai vs other martal arts for kids

Self defense is the ONLY reason my kids and i train. If it’s not beneficial in a real world altercation then it’s a waste of time… Great work outs maybe, but not useful.

I like Mike Tyson’s quote the best. “Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the face.” :laughing:

Hey, I watched all of the Steven Seagal movies and I can assure you after watching those carefully that it is very real world practical. It also helps to have a submachine gun that can fire 300 rounds without being reloaded.

1 Like

:laughing:

Don’t forget he was also an honorary volunteer deputy Sherrif in some small town, too.

And I am not bashing Akido, I studied Amercan-ized karate back in the day, and any of the practices will improve self-discipline and self-confidence and have many of the benefits as long as your instructor is good and coming from the right place. For real self-defense I subscribe to 21 rounds of 9 mm as being superior to most martial arts, and in case that isn’t enough, I am working on my cardio, but not as much as Eric and Larissa.

1 Like

Same. Concealed carrier since the mid 90s.

I still highly recommend watching or buying the 2007 film black belt…best martial arts movie ever

1 Like

Avid concealed carrier as well

1 Like

I recommend watching 2007 movies, it was the best movie I have ever seen, even I also bought a custom BJJ gi by roll bliss like them

I’ve done some of the Japanese jujitsus/ninjitsu but was wondering with BJJ, is it possible to participate without having your ears get all messed up?

1 Like

I think you may need to define getting ears all messed up. If you are talking about this:

I think you can pretty easily avoid this. If you are talking about something else, then I am not sure.

This is caused by a couple of things in BJJ. First, impact by elbows, knees, etc, directly to the ears can cause this. You can also get it by being put in positions that restrict blood flow to the ears such as some of the choke holds. MMA fighters are more prone to having it as they do both BJJ and Muay Thai and get hit and kicked a lot the ears a lot.

I’ve been doing BJJ and Muay Thai since 2011 and I’ve never had it (cauliflower ear).

2 Likes

Have you seen any non-fighter get one of these? I haven’t. My friends (husband/wife team) own a couple of BJJ gyms and both roll just about daily, and I don’t recall any of these types of injuries.

1 Like

No, people who JUST practice BJJ nearly never get these types of injuries because there is very rarely “impact” to that area. Every now and then you get hit with a stray knee or elbow, but very rarely. The cauliflower ear is a result of REPEATED and SUSTAINED blows to the ear or restriction of blood flow to that area…not one off incidents. You nearly always only see it in MMA fighters due to the nature of the sport.

2 Likes