Battery powered insulin cooler for under $15

As promised here’s my quick and dirty trial run of the battery powered electric insulin cooler system. This is a 12v peltier semiconductor cooling unit that I bought on eBay for $13. Set into a hole cut into a styrofoam insulin shipment cooler. The battery I just grabbed out of my riding lawnmower for this experiment. As you can see it’s happily humming away at 43 degrees F inside the cooler while 76 degrees outside the cooler.

In an emergency this could be attached to your cars battery and with the motor running it would stay cool inside indefinitely. I’m looking into options to connect a solar panel too it to charge the battery during the day or just run directly from the solar during the day, but solar panels with enough juice are quite expensive so that may be down the road.

I’ll clean this up to make it into a nicer looking unit now that I see it works.

3 Likes

What is your current drain?

I wouldn’t recommend running anything off solar directly, just recharge the batter with solar, even if all it does is extend your runtime.

That is a very very cost effective solution, as long as you don’t consider the battery.

It should be about 60w @12v I can’t verify right now though because the A fuse in my meter seems to be blown out. It’s almost as if someone who didn’t know what they were doing had been using it…

Of course with a power source that could plugged into wall the battery wouldn’t be needed… like a power supply from an old laptop computer or something

1 Like

Bummer, so with a 400 amp hour battery, assuming you still want the battery to work and only drain it 50% that would give you 40 run hours. My guess though is the draw during continued use might not be that high. Still a nice solution.

Not sure if the draw would have any reason to reduce of not… it’s a pretty constant state of operation it seems like…

That was an uneducated guess based on exactly nothing…

Just that most things seem to run significantly lower draw than the label says when I hook up my kill-a-watt meter.

Seems like the most cost effective solution would be a small battery and about a 100w solar panel to keep the battery charged… still though those panels are about $100

1 Like

Looks good. What’s next MacGyver?

1 Like

I may need a better architect for my next project

2 Likes