Basal Rates and Hormones

I printed out my Dexcom graph for the last 24 hours and put notes on it to show some of what I mean. I was on a brand new Dexcom sensor yesterday but it was pretty accurate based on fingersticks.

Yesterday was Day 17 for me, probably peak ovulation hormones. My point in posting this is to show what a difference of even 5% in my basals makes for me. Due to some lows between 4PM-7PM the prior two days with an extra basal of 15%, I didn’t want to go any higher than 15% yesterday. I was stuck in the 160-200 range all day. I bumped up my basal from 15% to 20% at 8PM and then the numbers settled down in a lower range and stayed decently steady (for a day 1 sensor reading) the rest of the night. I’m using +20% today and am going to see how it goes…but I know to be very careful with any correction doses in the 4PM-7PM window since something screwy is happening there for me. UPDATE: I semi-basal tested the 4PM-7PM timeframe today and I dropped 90 points in that time. No wonder I tanked hardcore two days ago when I took a strong correction dose at 4:30PM. Will have to basal test that segment for real during my next week 2 to see if anything pops up there…got a couple different theories to work out.

So anyway…despite the Dexcom jumping a bit yesterday, it still demonstrates what it is that I’m looking for when I decide to increase a basal setting due to hormones. If I get the correct increase, it will move my numbers to hovering in a different range (i.e. lower)
Day%2017%20Notes.

3 Likes