Basal Rates and Hormones

I am on Mirena and this is an update for the trends that I noticed regarding my insulin needs for week 1 (and a little bit on week 4)

Week 1:

• Days 1, 2, and 3: I am more insulin sensitive overnight and in the morning. I used a temp basal of -10% overnight and that seemed to work (without doing any official test but I stayed stable overnight). I found that my morning basal 8AM-11AM was causing me to drift down (whereas normally I stay steady) so I used a temp basal of -20% and that worked great for me. I did not find any other sensitivity at different times of day

Week 4:

• I am less convinced of these week 4 trends so I’m planning on testing out my theories in a few weeks when I hit week 4 again with better carb and taking notes on what I’m eating
  • All Week 4 (and possibly week 3): I experienced insulin resistance associated with meals. (I did not notice this trend but my CDE did). My basals seemed to be fine over the days and nights (I wasn’t drifting up like I was expecting I would.) However, I consistently experienced spikes after meals (meals that I eat frequently and know what amount of insulin normally works for me that I normally do not have spikes for.)
  • Again, just trends, but next week 3 and 4 I am going to be better about recording what I’m eating and will try adjusting my ICR down so my boluses will be more aggressive for meals
3 Likes