Basal Rates and Hormones

You are not late to the party! This party will go on forever and we’re glad to have more women to party with us!!

Awesome. About persisting.

There is…but we’re always in search of more info on this topic. Since you’re on Mirena, here’s the only other experience on FUD that I’ve seen related to Mirena. You may have a totally different experience.

I would guess so! It will be interesting to see what you find. Mirena uses a second generation progestin locally released in small quantities. My general understanding from my CDE is that it may dampen your insulin sensitivity fluctuations as compared to if you were not using Mirena, but it might introduce the tiniest amount of resistance overall (due to progesterone usually causing a bit of resistance). So, hopefully this means that your cyclical insulin sensitivity fluctuations will not be huge!

I really hope this helps you! Hopefully you will not see large fluctuations, and hopefully if there are moderate to small ones you can track them and adjust for them without too much issue. For me, scaling my basal up and down throughout the cycle with flat percentages is the way to go…but it only started helping me once I had my basals all set to work cohesively according to my Week 2 needs. Since that took me YEARS to figure out from a problem solving perspective, the percentage increases and decreases exacerbated problems that existed within my basal profile. All of which is to say, watch out for any trouble spots. Something that is a noticeable spike or dip in Week 2 for me became much larger when I added a percentage change to it in Weeks 3 and 4.

Great idea. I use the Fitbit app for this same thing.

Yup! Preach. I wish mine only changed during PMS or during my period, but that is simply not the case for me. And maybe we’re all different. And maybe I’m an extreme example. But sharing our experiences together will help continue to answer those questions since we’re getting no help from the medical experts.

[my hand is shooting up to join this project in any capacity you need at a future date]

1 Like