Basal Rates and Hormones

How embarrassing. I’m posting too many consecutive times on my Basal Rates and Hormones thread to be allowed to post anymore. So I’m putting this post here, for now.

"Playing hormone detective here…as with everything diabetes related, it seems for me.

I’m probably two days out from ovulation. (TMI, what what!)

I’m trying +5% basal today. I used to start with +10% extra basal, but I’m going to start small and start early this time around and see how that plays out for me.

The reasons that I suspect my hormones are causing insulin resistance right now are:

1. I added 10% to my dinner bolus for a tried and true dinner last night. My bg never came back down below 140 despite being super active all evening long. It just stuck at 150-140 when it normally would have tanked in there somewhere due to my activity level and bolus last night.
  2. I chose a smarter snack last night than what I actually wanted (inspired by @Nickyghaleb’s exercise last night c/o Yoda @Eric) in order to keep my overnight observations cleaner (my snack of choice, nachos, would not have helped that overnight).
  3. My blood sugar climbed from 127 to 183 between 1AM and 3AM. 1AM was roughly one hour after my snack bolus would have been done working, and I had bolused an extra 10% for my snack after seeing how dinner went. This was a routine snack that doesn’t cause late spikes, so I suspect the hormones instead of the food.

My basal rates do a good job overnight when hormones aren’t in play. Once hormones start ramping up, I see early morning spikes like this one.

I’ve said elsewhere that I used my meal doses as a barometer for when I needed to increase my Lantus on MDI due to hormones. This is also my strategy of choice for pumping now. Still working on fine tuning what thresholds I use to start adding basal based on increased meal needs. "

3 Likes