Basal comparison for kids

Michel’s post got me thinking about this topic.

This probably doesn’t apply as much to pre-k kids, because their school schedules and activities are probably more variable.

But for those of you with kids in elementary, middle, or high school (@Thomas, @Chris, @Michel, and others), how do your kid’s TDD’s look for something like June-July-August versus September-October-November?

If you were to look at a 3 month span so that the daily fluctuations don’t impact it as much, how do those numbers compare?

I would like to see how much the TDD changes for summer months, when I would guess your kids would be more active in their daily routines, versus being in the classroom.

Does anyone have numbers to share?
(For us working stiffs no longer in school, one month is basically the same as any other. :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

mid-July ~ Aug: 46.4 TDD w/ 103 carbs. 2.22 carbs/unit.
Sept ~ Nov: 40.8 TDD w/ 95 carbs. 2.33 carbs/unit.
Dec ~ Feb: 42.1 TDD w/ 91 carbs. 2.16 carbs/unit.
Mar ~ May: 40.3 TDD w/ 78 carbs. 1.94 carbs/unit.
Jun ~ Aug: 38.6 TDD w/ 78 carbs. 2.02 carbs/unit.

Doesn’t look significant to me. Probably more significant looks to be the general reduction in carbs.
Note we do not typically record carbs used to treat lows.
Also note that I have no idea what counts as low carb or middle carb or high carb. We eat what we want and the carbs are what they are.

2 Likes

@Thomas, I have the data but in an app, not in a spreadsheet, so it will take a couple of days to gather. No problem, though, I was starting that process already.

1 Like

Your summer months are split up in an interesting way.

More TDD from mid-July to August, and much less June through August.

mid-July ~ Aug: 46.4 TDD w/ 103 carbs. 2.22 carbs/unit.
Jun ~ Aug: 38.6 TDD w/ 78 carbs. 2.02 carbs/unit.

I am puzzled by this, because mid-July to August is within June to August. So just looking at those numbers, it seemed that June must have been super low for TDD. Is that right?

I should have put year. My bad. I often suffer from lack of labels.
Issue prevented data capture for all of Summer 2017.

2017: mid-July ~ Aug: 46.4 TDD w/ 103 carbs. 2.22 carbs/unit.
2017: Sept ~ Nov: 40.8 TDD w/ 95 carbs. 2.33 carbs/unit.
2017/2018: Dec ~ Feb: 42.1 TDD w/ 91 carbs. 2.16 carbs/unit.
2018: Mar ~ May: 40.3 TDD w/ 78 carbs. 1.94 carbs/unit.
2018: Jun ~ Aug: 38.6 TDD w/ 78 carbs. 2.02 carbs/unit.

That starts to align with my thoughts.

If you ignore the 2017 summer, it looks like it starts to ramp up higher in the fall, is highest in winter, comes back down a bit in spring, and drops to the lowest amount in summer…

2017: Sept ~ Nov: 40.8 TDD
2017/2018: Dec ~ Feb: 42.1 TDD
2018: Mar ~ May: 40.3 TDD
2018: Jun ~ Aug: 38.6 TDD

Those numbers :arrow_up: make perfect sense from a seasonal and school perspective.

But your summer of 2017 kind of messes up my theory a bit. :frowning:

You know what good scientists do. When they have data that does not support their hypothesis…they throw that data out!
:grinning:

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if that was a crazy hilarious statement. Instead of too often being the sad reality.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, we aren’t keeping records that would be helpful. My boy has taken a shine to using a syringe often to deal with highs over 300, and we don’t record that anywhere. We also took a 5 week pump break this year and so we don’t have any data for that period.

Sorry

2 Likes

Just talking about that with my daughter last night. I don’t have the correct numbers but October and late June typically require 20-50% basal boosts – usually around 20% during the day, 50-80% late evening. Other times it’s relatively static.

My daughter’s homeschooled but does probably have the same activity level as a schooled child.

Lately I’ve been thinking the different numbers relate more to her sleep cycles than to activity levels: 1) I know when she misses a lot sleep for a night her BG’s up the next day, and 2) she seems to have poorer sleep late fall (so much going on) and early summer (changing bedtimes due to the later sundown). Anyway, just a guess.

2 Likes

@Eric:

• April 2018 (school) average TDD = 53.9U

• May 2018 (school) average TDD = 52.1U

• June 2018 (school for 1st week only, vacation on the move after) average TDD = 40.7U

• July 2018 (vacation on the move) average TDD = 44.2U

• August 2018 (vacation on the move) average TDD = 40.2U

• September 2018 (vacation sedentary for 2 weeks, school afterwards) average TDD = 40.8U

1 Like