Bad endos

thx guys. i will need all the help and support i can get. i know that i will probably have to use the Tegaderm to cover it for swimming. not looking forward to that, though.

1 Like

I don’t swim as much as you do, but I’ve worn my dex in both the pool and the ocean with no precautions and no problems, just sometimes a little delay in it reconnecting with the phone. You might be ok without doing anything special.

thanks for that info. i would hope i could avoid using the Tegaderm. i hated it from when i was formerly on the dex.

1 Like

I’ve swam with the Dex (around 3x a week for 30 min), and I still generally could get 1.5 weeks out of a sensor as long as I used Skin-tac. I’m sure the location will have an impact on how well it adheres while in the pool. I use my upper arm, and I found that backstroke seemed to cause more problems than other strokes.

If you’re swimming for 60-90 minutes, you may run into some problems with keeping the sensor attached. I suppose you’ll just have to try it out and see :slight_smile:

I’m glad you can try it out! I hope you like it!

2 Likes

I should add that I use opsite flexifix around my sensors to keep them on since I typically extend them for up to several weeks. That said, I often don’t apply until it’s necessary (at about the 1 week mark), and I don’t cover the sensor itself, and I’ve taken it in the pool/ocean without during that first week without issues. I do have it always on my lower abdomen, so it’s covered by my swimsuit, which would also reduce drag on it.

2 Likes

Probably not needed. I try to swim 1h 3x/week and no issues and its always on my upper arm. I’ve been lazy on the swimming lately, so my masters coach probably thinks I’m the worlds biggest slacker. If I’m forcing 2 weeks out of the sensor (now that I have some extras, I don’t worry about it as much), then I might have to add some kt tape around the edges in the 2nd week.

2 Likes

i swim between 90 and 120 minutes about 4 days a week. i am guessing that is too long in the pool for the dex to stay put.

1 Like

Who knows? Maybe it’ll stick to you better than it does to me :wink:

1 Like

that would be dreamy :blush: !!!

1 Like

Hi! Wrong topic for this page, but… haven’t even tried with endos, but did work with my primary care to get a Dexcom! Am one week in on it and it’s going… ok?? I was COMPLETELY overwhelmed the first couple of days, but have told myself to give it a week (and now give it two weeks) and that the numbers are simply data. I have looked, but is there a page/topic for simple Dexcom start up questions?? (Sorry to hijack this thread!!). Thanks for asking! Jessica

1 Like

When I searched for Dexcom, the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the page, 50+ topics came up. You can scroll through the topics that range from basics (how does it work, calibration, etc) to more advanced items (xdrip+).

Hopefully you’ll find what you’re looking for, if not just ask. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you getting data that is mostly correlated with your meter, and you are just learning how to use it, or are you having difficulties?

1 Like

I am a newbie to using it and didn’t get any training (aside from start up help from another diabetic friend). I realize I think I searched “CGM” and not “Dexcom” specifically so will do that now and poke around! Will be back with questions but knowing this group you’ve got me covered! Thanks! Jessica

3 Likes

Well, the first thing we had to learn is not to chase the results, but rather use it to inform you. If you try to micro-manage your bg using your CGM you will have an issue because it is 20 minutes behind your blood. So instead of dosing and redosing when you don’t see an immediate change, try first to say wow, when I ate that I had this response, so next time I eat that I will change something to get a better result.

Also, don’t pay too much attention to the arrows, rather use the trend to see what is happening.

3 Likes

I am trying really hard to not micromanage. It is not easy when there is so much data right in front of me. I have also realized that humalog does not take effect (begin to work) for me for 90 minutes, which seems absolutely insane. I’m also realizing that I sit around LOW a lot more than I realized. (The Dexcom alarms don’t let you ignore that!) Ugh. But for now, still trying to gather data, watch trends, etc! :slight_smile: Jessica

3 Likes

Good for you JessicaD. It takes time, but eventually you will get there with the CGM. We have used it to tailor insulin doses to particular meals, we have used it to come up with strategies to deal with exercise. I know the realization on how long the insulin takes to hit is unreal, really useful information that you would be hard pressed to figure out on your own.

We also use it to time carb ingestion to land highs that are being lowered, and of course to treat those lows and make sure you don’t lose your low awareness!

Sounds like you are on the right track, and yes it is hard not to micromanage.

i would like to talk for a moment about good endos.

about 6 or 7 months ago, i switched from my “relationship” with my horrible idiot endo who i had stuck it out with for 30+ years. i found this great endo up at Mt Sinai Hospital in NYC.

well, i saw him today for my 3 month visit. this guy is the BOMB!!!

first off, my A1c is 4.9% !!! OMG, did i work my but off for this. he was thrilled. (my former endo wanted me closer to 7%…as i just said, he was an idiot :wink:)

this endo spent over an hour with me discussing everything. every question i had, no matter how menial, he was very respectful and put lots of thought into answering me. he made everything understandable, and he gave me some new and creative ideas about bolusing for “strange” or “challenging” foods.

i also saw the CDE (she attatched me to a trial run of a Dexcom Sensor CGM) i spoke with a nutritionist/NP as well.

the entire experience was awesome.

if you live near NYC or are willing to travel, i cannot recommend him enough. what a worthwhile decision on my part to seek this guy out. i am so over-the-moon right now.

and, PS: as in the previous 2 appointments, they took me as soon as i showed up (earlier than my scheduled appointment). no over/double booking on their part. i felt so respected.

if anyone would like any more info on this guy, or the hospital he works at, please dont hesitate to ask. i am happy to share.

5 Likes

Always nice to hear the good experiences. Super happy it went well, even though I am envious of your A1C. Congrats!

1 Like

Wow this is so heartening to hear about @daisymae. we really like our pediatric endo but I’ve heard bad things about the transition between pediatric and adult endos. It’s nice to know there are some good ones out there.

And 4.9?? Amazing…My A1C isn’t that good!

1 Like

my husbands isnt as low either. weird isnt it???