At 9:30 I ate 2 servings of chips.... At midnight I’m 200 and rising. Is this the chips or could this really be protein?

What time did you eat the chips?

1 Like

Maybe 10??

I would just adjust your dosage up a bit for the chips. It looks like if you prevent the rise right after eating the chips you should be fine. Don’t go crazy with the increase, just increase it a bit. I don’t think you need longer acting, since after the chip rise, you were flat"ish" for the night.

1 Like

I was just reading about how increasing the bolus size would mean pushing a greater amount of insulin earlier and therefore hitting the rise. Very good explanation. I would like to try it but probably need an uneventful night more than the satisfaction of a good experiment or a bowl of chips.

I’ll stick to peanuts.

Unless those are a problem, too.

1 Like

Nuts digest slowly. When I eat almonds I only use R. I usually take 1 unit of it and that is enough. If I used Novolog I would go low and then high later.

You have seen The Office…

But I won’t. Too early. :smiley:

I actually only see a rise from peanuts sporadically… just often enough to call it a wild card. I always start with just a small handful though and sometimes quit there…but sometimes move onto shoveling. I imagine the “sporadic” part comes as a result of how much I’ve eaten.

So I completely blew the first Novolin attempt yesterday morning. (Well, I can’t say BLEW… it definitely did the trick), but then I used it again yesterday afternoon with great success. I took it at 4:30 in the afternoon, planning on doing my next Levemir dose at around 7:30. I think I did 2 units but may have done just one. I was working under the assumption that it would take at least an hour to get working, and that it would be a little background help to get me to my next dose. It worked well. Was that just luck, or did those numbers make any sense?

Come to think of it, I was also assuming Levemir took about an hour to pick up, too… but am not sure why I was thinking that. Do you have any idea how fast Levemir gets going?

I usually give it about 1.5 hours to completely ramp up.

For example, if I am taking it at night for bedtime - I will take the Levi, turn off my pump basal, and then do an extended bolus of 1.5 hours for the amount of basal I would be getting during that time until the Levi has kicked in.

The extended bolus is actually a basal replacement in that instance. This is safer than leaving my normal basal running and saying, “I need to turn this basal off in 1.5 hours…”

This formula works well for me.

How do you come up with this stuff? :grin: This is just clever…

1.5… okay that’s good info. I was guessing an hour, but that was soft. What do you think the timeframe is at the tail end? Do you have any idea what I’m really looking at with an hour or two left if it’s no longer full strength? Of course, that would depend on how many units I did…

I think it actually does not tail off. It seems to ramp up a bit right before it quits.

Those are just totally made up pictures, not based on any real numbers, but just for an illustration.

One of the ways you can figure out the duration is when it ramps up. You know it will drop right after that.

It is not a very big ramp up, and you have to have no IOB from a meal or any carbs in your system to notice it.

1 Like

Really? I wouldn’t expect this at all!

So this afternoon I skipped the Novolin R, but then I did end up doing probably about 6 or 7 units of novolog for a banana and like 2 pieces of crust… so more novolog then I probably needed. 4-8 though was like ooh la la. :grin: So now I have no idea what thread I’m reporting this under, but I did 13 units this morning at 6:30, and I did 9 at 6:30 this evening, and I never rise between 4-8… but did have a “bunch” of insulin on board. :+1:

coincidentally, my blood would not drop for 3 hours today…BBQ potato chips… its probably been about a year since I had some, now I remember why.

4 Likes

Wow, that is quite a ride from potato chips. Or is that the day after? Not that I am criticizing potato chips at 9 am, I have absolutely done that.