Anyone here take gabapenten?

This is a brilliant suggestion. I am going to call them tomorrow morning and ask if they can do it for me. I was putting it on this evening and I have to put on surgical gloves to rub it on bc if I dont I cannot scrub the darn cream off of my hands. I need to loofa it off. But I have found that using the gloves is very helpful. But my, what a process it is. And its so painful to to just touch my thigh, much less rub and rub and rub it in!

3 Likes

Oh boy, that sounds awful – I hope that they can change it to something less tacky! Fingers crossed!

ADDING: OR have them put it into a patch, like a lidocaine patch???

2 Likes

This process would take me hours! as it is now, I am lathering this cream all over and around my left thigh. A patch would have to be enormous! ( I had tried patches around my back last year and it didnt work out for me…and they are super super expensive! )

1 Like

DaisyMae
I stopped using GABA a few weeks ago after reading about it here. For the next two weeks I thought I was having issues with: inserts going bad; running out of sites; insulin resistence; and insulin going bad. Wild swings. Did not associate it with the GABA. But I have not lost but a few lbs.
Is the neuropathy from the Femoral nerve? I mention it because it can be entrapped by glutes or IT band, etc. Just a random thought.
I found that CBD creme helped me with back pain post surgery, but it took a few days until I felt it was working.
Mike

2 Likes

CBD did NOTHING for me.

I wanted to write about the latest update on the GABA topical cream:

So the cream is not supposed to be systemic and get into my bloodstream. However, after just 2 weeks of using it I am having the exact same side effects I had while I was on the pill form. Uncomfortable bloating and weight gain, crazy low BGs( and having terrible trouble getting them bk up into a safe TR) wild swings without any other explanation. having to lower all of my basals as well as using less bolus insulin.

The cream feels like Elmers Glue. It is thick, sticky and tacky and very very hard to rub in. I have to wear surgical gloves to rub it on bc once it touches the skin on my hands, I cannot get it off, even with multiple soap washings and using a loofa. Also, its clings to my sweats and makes it difficult to take them off (and even to wash them clean), and it causes the sweats to rub against my thigh (which is very very painful and kinda defeats the entire purpose. :weary: )

However, I took 2 days off of it (no withdrawal symptoms), and my initial pain came right back. It happened that quickly. So, basically, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Anyone else want to chime in?

UGH.

2 Likes

Did any of the bad side effects NOT come back? Or was it everything bad that was associated with this in pill form? If so, it seems like it’s probably not a good solution for you (which is what you decided when you stopped taking the pills). Seems worth re-evaluating.

But if you are having some help with it and minimized side effects, how about the idea of simply layering it onto your trouble spots, NOT rubbing it in, but getting the bad spots covered up, then covering up the entire area with either an ACE bandage that will cover the entire afflicted area or Saran Wrap + tape, then covered by a lighter bandage or wrap that just keeps it covered and not sticking to your other leg? That would allow the cream to settle into your leg on its own (which it should) and provide some benefit. You could try doing this the recommended 3x/day (just replacing the plastic or ACE bandage and covering up the awful cream and seeing if you can get additional benefit from a 3x/day application?

It does sounds like it is helping with the pain. So the charge would be to take away as much of the grossness and impedance to functionality as we can. It would be great to get something like this to work for you. xoxo

2 Likes

Oh My, dont I know it!!! Thank you sooo much for your insightful suggestions. I’m right on it starting this morning! I will keep you posted :crossed_fingers: :pray:

2 Likes

Just an update:

The Chemist company who made up the topical cream for me actually called me to see how I was responding to the medications. I told them about how all the nasty cream was (NOT) doing. all the problems, etc.

Well to my surprise, they apologized and made up a brand new formula cream for me (no $ needed). I havent tried it yet, but I’m considering it. The odd thing is that some of the pain in my thigh area has been dissipating (Yahoo), so maybe less is more :wink:

3 Likes