And the weight came off

If that is the quantity that best suits you I would say so… or if you’d prefer a different quantity I’d use that one instead

I’d keep investigating your own plan. Caremark themselves just follows the marching orders, some of those come from their formulary, some come from their payer… which is your insurance plan…they don’t give a damn how well it works for you. I’d be willing to bet there’s someone in an office somehow related to your employer/ plan that can waive a magic wand and tell Caremark to approve whatever they want…

Caremark has a boilerplate formulary… with underlying prices and rebates they’ve negotiated with everyone… exceptions to it are going to have to come from their own prior auth processes (which are stupid) or from whoever is footing the bill to tell them directly to make an exception

Yeah, but my plan was using a CVS formulary this year too. It’s just that they’re removing the nonformulary drug benefit and changing the formulary to be more restrictive in 2020, so it is kind of a double whammy. It was a little too good to be true, so I guess it is not that surprising.

I agree that I need to talk with my plan rather than CVS. When I call tomorrow, I’m planning to call my plan. I’ll insist upon talking with someone who is higher up which I sort of did today, but I was still trying to sort through all the information I’d been given.

It’s helpful to read that you bypassed the prior-approval/appeal process. Hopefully I can manage that as well.

CVS couldn’t process my prior approval request before my open season began, so they were in violation of their contract.

After a decent amount of persistence on my part (and Mannkind on my behalf), I was informed today that I would be granted an override to fill my medication through 2020. The CVS rep sent me this notification via email.

I’m not sure exactly how that all played out behind the scenes- perhaps the plan rep made the final call. Either way, it means I’ll save about $3,000 next year! I will need to switch to Basaglar, but I think that’ll work out alright.

6 Likes

100% yes. I’ve never seen a company go to bat for a customer as hard as Mannkind has. They’re very very helpful.

4 Likes

Awesome. Glad persistence paid off… sorry it was necessary

2 Likes

1 Like

Your comments have provided some great information. I recently started Tresiba this week to help with dawn phenomenon. I am a Type 1 and had taken Lantus for 20 years. BG control and weight management are the two most important factors for me. I’ve increased my exercise routine this year, so the hypos increased. Today marks Day 3 on Tresiba and much better BG control. I have a low carb diet, and I do not think I’ve had one number out of range thus far. However, I will closely monitor my weight while on Tresiba since this side effect is a common issue others are reporting.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! This is a great site for tips and support and all things tech. I had frequent hypos on Lantus and now use a pump. Tresiba is my back-up basal insulin now (got that after a pump controller failure a while ago) but haven’t had to use it yet (knock wood!) so I am interested in how it works for you.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that things worked out. I had similar experiences with both Tresiba and Toujeo. Overall I’ve found Lantus once a day to be the best although sometimes I’ll take a dose late at night in order to prepare for potential bg rises in the morning. Levermir is great too although it’s been tough to notice much of a difference between Lantus and Levemir.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment. Lantus is good old faithful for sure.

1 Like