And so it begins

Hey @Michel,
I appreciate the support, and the awesome vocabulary!!!
I learned at a young age to never forget or deny who I’ve been or what I’ve done. I know its cliche now, but our scars/mistakes are just as important as our triumphs and dreams. I don’t mind what I’ve been through in a way, as I believe it has made me much more sympathetic to others’ situations.
I’m trying to think of big words to use, but the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet.

2 Likes

I try to use T3c with doctors as much as I can–but always clarify that for insurance purposes, I am classified as T1. I’m trying to remember how I found out about the term; I think one of my partners ran across it in their research around diabetes (they’re T2) and told me about it.

I haven’t had surgery to remove my gallbladder or spleen yet; the necrosis did a lot of damage inside my abdomen and I have ongoing problems with fluid build up which makes me a poor candidate for surgery. It’s a very frustrating situation. Essentially, every rare complication you can get with pancreatitis, I’ve had. I am getting an ERCP sometime soon, which may lead to another piece of pancreas being removed or it may just be that I need another stent. I just had a bout of bacteremia which involved a hospitalization and a PICC line with IV antibiotics after discharge, so I’m getting all the endoscopic procedures in an attempt to track down the source of the infection.

I’m still working on adjusting to this new life of mine. There are times when I think I’ve accepted it and other times when…not so much.

2 Likes

Who the hell can blame you. “embrace the suck” and all the other motivational stuff only works so well when the suck is real. Everyone needs a break, no judgement on that here.

I have a policy of no hectoring slogans in my life. :rofl:

But oh, would I love a break. That would be great. Instead, I’ll have to console myself with all the vacation time I’m taking from work over the next two months. I still work full time and the pandemic has been a blessing in disguise for me, as I’d been denied part time WFH as an accommodation and now everyone who works in the offices is WFH full time. My plan is to do it permanently–my doctors really feel it’s best for me since I’m so high risk.

I’m just so glad that there’s another 3c person on this board!

4 Likes

When this all started for me, I saw a therapist for a while. He kept telling me that I’d have an easier time accepting and dealing when it all stopped being a moving target. Unfortunately, it doesn’t stop changing for long, esp with your GI issues. (This is not supposed to be discouraging, in any way) I’m not sure what “acceptance” means to me. There’s a thread on here about acceptance, good read. (Don’t know how to put the link in).
I know I felt a hell of a lot better about my new life when I was able to physically put all my on-the-go supplies (yes, that includes a ton of Dunks sugar packets) in my favorite Nightmare Before Christmas lunchbox. Made me feel like I had trapped it, somehow made it listen to my rules. I know that I haven’t, obviously, but it was a type of acceptance. I’ve accepted the fact that if we make plans for a vacation, the flight, accommodations, etc best come with free cancelations, because that’s my new life. I don’t know if I’ve fully accepted everything that comes with this, and there are still days that I refuse to accept ANY of it. But I’ve filtered out what I NEED to accept in order to survive, and even thrive. That’s the best that I can do for now.
You just need to keep yourself healthy, if you can, and make sure you leave room for living.

2 Likes

I don’t know what I’d do without my weekly therapist appointments!

And “leave room for living” is great advice and something I try to do–last weekend I drove down the shore for a day and made sure to bring all my stuff with me (because there was no way I wasn’t going to be getting a Fancy Coffee Drink at Wawa–I love Dunkies, but their Fancy Coffee Drinks often leave something to be desired!) and I had a wonderful time and it was exactly what I needed.

I have a hospital go-bag which includes grippy socks that don’t suck, toiletries, slippers–all the things you always forget to grab when you go to the ER. I feel a lot better for having it; I expect that once I get a pump, I’ll put extra pump supplies in there, too. Assuming my insurance lets me have more than a 30 day supply at a time, that is. :roll_eyes:

Anyhow. This is your thread, not mine.

3 Likes

So, this term, “3c” is new for me. I had to look it up. I’m a LADA and am loosely diagnosed as a Type 1.5. I’m 52 and learned my panc doesn’t produce any insulin. I’ve gone through many different types of insulin but am currently on Afrezza (inhaled). Even though I’m struggling greatly with my numbers and management as a whole, Afrezza is much safer than my previous short-acting insulin (Humalog).

Which brings me to my question about 3c…

My endo is a little confused on why I struggle so much with my management as the majority of his patients do exceptionally well on Afrezza. Now I’m starting to wonder if my digestive system is subpar. Possible gastroparesis?? I have noticed that the timing of when I take my meal insulin seems to play a huge role in getting the right number. But it’s always a moving target due to what food I’m eating. I’ve also been under enormous stress. Funny side note…my divorce was final in June 2015. One month later I was diagnosed with DM. So the stresses of being a single mom, dealing w my narcissistic ex, ailing parents and working 2 jobs definitely own part of my DM management. I also love wine. Always have. I am a HUGE cook and love the art of pairing wine with food. While I cook very healthy and watch my carbs, am not a sugar junkie and love my veggies, it would crush me if I were to have to give up my love of wine. Managing DM doesn’t seem to be all black and white so I’m hoping to find what my body needs to get DM under control.

I would very much appreciate anyone sharing their thoughts about my struggles. If anything, to help me feel not alone and like a DM flunkie. The highest my a1c has ever gotten after starting treatment is 8.1. Not the worst but want it better and want to be a healthier person and mom to my son.

1 Like

I think this is pretty normal for many of us! With help here, I am learning to roll with it (haha I am a slow learner) and adjust as needed (more insulin or a short walk, or more food). I remember when I was diagnosed that I thought if I could just “follow the rules”, everything would work out okay. Now I’ve learned the rules are really only guidelines or starting points…and also that the numbers are there to guide me (not judge me).

Many of us enjoy wine, beer, or cocktails. Learning how alcohol affects your body and blood sugar is very important. For example, the next morning for sure I need more carbs for a given bolus.

You are NOT alone! Your FUD family is here for you!

5 Likes

Do you use a CGM or just a blood sugar meter?

1 Like