Am I Banana's? Bolusing for food you don't how to bolus for

@Chris a couple of bunches like that a year. I tend to freeze a lot - I have a great banana bread recipe that gets made with them. It’s sugar free, not that I’d add sugar anyway, but it’s just as addictive as the fresh bananas

7 Likes

Wow! That is impressive!

3 Likes

My Grandmother used to bake me fresh banana bread with walnuts in it. It was all hot out of the oven when I got to her home after school. (she baked everything, though, so before leaving for school I would put in “my order” and when I got back, there it was, piping hot and ready to eat! ) :yum:

What a fantastic grandmother I had!!! (she even made fresh bagels and her own tarty yogurt.) I miss her terribly. :heart:

8 Likes

Those bananas look amazing! My partner lived in Thailand for a bit and raves about all the banana varieties there. Apparently the US market once was dominated by a tastier version than the Cavendish, but since all bananas are an extreme example of a monoculture, they got struck down by disease and the resistant but less tasty Cavendish took its place.

3 Likes

Does anyone here enjoy Plantanes?

Also, one of my favorite types of bananas are the small ones that come in bunches. Anyone enjoy those?

1 Like

Plantains are great, got to love some mofungo

1 Like

No, D class is not the letter-grade “D”, it is the class we are all in. :grinning:

4 Likes

Obviously, silly. Of course I understood what you meant :wink:

3 Likes

@daisymae banana bread without walnuts isn’t real banana bread! Your grandmother sounds wonderful. :heart:

4 Likes

Wow, how wonderful @SBee you grow your own bananas! I’ve always wanted to do that! I didn’t know you could freeze bananas but I guess you could make a delicious smoothie out of a frozen banana!

3 Likes

Do you see lots of hummingbirds when the plants are flowering? Any pix?

4 Likes

@CatLady, not hummingbirds but blue faced honey eaters I’ve noticed. I think I’ve got a pic somewhere. I’ll have a hunt for it.

5 Likes

I just have to comment! I’m sitting here literally LMAO. Three months ago, I’d be perturbed at this discussion because of being mad about the big D thing. I think I’ve grown to where I can appreciate and laugh out loud at the time and effort that this many people can take this much time and this much effort to discuss what is needed…neigh…required to eat a banana! Thank you all for lightening my day and putting a smile on my face…as well as for all the well thought out advice on how to eat the big yellow finger!! PS: I’m not the biggest fan or aficionado, but I’ve always liked mine on the green side, my wife more next to turning black!

4 Likes

Happy to see your attitude change for the better. Honestly if we can’t laugh about it, then it often ends up more depressing. It is so freeing to discuss diabetes amongst a group of people that can make light of things but also that understand without having to overly explain the topic. Share the wins, share the losses, but share is the keyword.

6 Likes

I’m getting very excited bc tomorrow for Bfast, I am going to b eating this enormous and on-its-way-to-being-brown banana. I’ve had my eye on it all week. I buy them green and then get more and more excited as I watch them turn and ripen. And then, just a day or so before they become mush, I know its time to tear one open and slice it up into little circles and place them around my plate so that they look like birthday candles on a cake, and then I dawb each of them with a topping of freshly ground roasted peanut butter so that they all look very independent and important. And then I slowly eat them one little sliced circle at a time. I eat with my eyes shut and concentrate 200% on the different flavors and textures. And, I decide beforehand which one is the largest slice, and then I save that one for my very last bite. Can I tell you how much I savor and treasure each and every single one of them?? Do I even need to? Or is it that completely obvious? :yum:

7 Likes

Todays Banana Experiment:

today I peeled open a very large and VERY ripe banana and got out a brand new, very freshly ground tub of peanut butter. My BG was 116, and I bolused for 33gms of carbs. (I was just figuring that bc it was such a ripe banana that it would have a LOT of sugar in it.)

I pre-bolused for 15 minutes and I ate one little round slice at a time every 60 seconds ( I like to stretch it out for as long as humanly possible.) This way I can make my “meal” last about 15 minutes, so the entire operation time takes about 1/2 hour. And then I keep my eyes on my CGM.

In each of the last couple of experiments, I found that I was going low shortly after eating, but then rebounding high later on. I thought two things: 1) that bc of my gastroparisis and the slow digestion of the fatty PB, this was the culprit and that I might have to do a dual bolus in the future. and 2) That I havent been taking my Gastroparisis medication for a while and that that was what was the cause of my digestive issue. Maybe I would need to either resume my medication (UGH, another pill), or I should bolus AFTER eating so that the meal and the insulin timing and duration match up more effectively.

Well, today I decided to take my darn medication 45 minutes prior to eating. I experienced no immediate low and no post BG highs. The only problem I got into was a minor and easily correctable over-bolus which required a glucose tablet 2.5 hours later.

I would like to say that I will repeat this experiment tomorrow morning and bolus a little less insulin, but I am fresh out of bananas. (I did, however, get to the Farmers Market and buy a bunch of green ones…so while they ripen, I will have to experiment with some other food choice.)

I think that for my next experiment, I will bolus for 30gms of carbs and see what happens. I do try and stick with the same sized bananas so I can do my best to mimic each go around. Now its just a matter of waiting for them to ripen.

I want to add this little aside: I took my Domperidone medication throughout the day as prescribed, and I had absolutely NO BG issues at all. No real lows, highs, nor any spikes. Just a nice flat line. I think I will continue taking it. I really thought I could get away without it, but oh no. It does what its meant to do and makes eating a much more pleasurable experience overall.

My BGs today remained between 73 an 116. I hope that my evening remains in range as well :pray: (I only say this bc I have had to make so many basal adjustments in the past 3 months that I am spending way too much time tweaking and less time enjoying.)

6 Likes