Alternative BG testing sites?

Is there a thread on alternate bg testing sites? I’ve been wondering whether it’s acceptable to test fasting BG on the palm of the hand. It’s my understanding that finger tips are the best especially for rapidly changing BG’s.

If anyone has had experience with alternate BG test sites (in addition to sides of the fingers) please do share.

2 Likes

I don’t, but I certainly do test enough to mix a couple in. :smiley: I have done the sides of my fingers, and that just hurt. Isn’t forearm one possibility?

1 Like

Doesn’t the FDA require that a meter be certified for alternate site testing? At least that seems to be a selling point for some meters. Evidently a blood drop is not a blood drop.

2 Likes

Bernstein mentioned a few test sites in his book,Diabetes Solution.

The sides of the fingers are supposed to hurt the least, whereas, the fat part of the fingers hurt more. The base of the palm, doesn’t hurt as much, for me. Considering that, on occasions, we may test around 10x a day, and I typically rotate through my digits, except for the thumb and index fingers (for some reason, I can’t seem to get blood easily out of those), having alternate sites would be helpful.

That is what I’ve heard. It isn’t true for me. I also have no feeling in my pads, so I could be cheating.

1 Like

I alternate between these two sites.

Left pinky finger, and left ring finger.

1 Like

Interesting. I use just 3 fingers on left, 2 fingers on right. Never thumb or index finger. My right pinky was injured and now stubby, so it doesn’t get used.
But there are 2 I use most often, same as yours!

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. The pinky and ring fingers don’t feel a thing, compared to the other fingers!

When I was younger, I learned to test on my left hand, because I was right handed and it was just easier that way. So I kind of stuck with it. No sense jacking up all the fingers! :grinning:

3 Likes

We have tried forearms and palm. We quickly stopped the forearm because we found that capillaries in the forearm are too far behind “latest BG situation”: if your BG is on the move, the forearm appears to be at least 15-20 minutes behind, at least for us. We would never dose, or test for a low, on the forearm.

The palm appeared to be a good alternative spot for us: the blood seemed to be as “fresh” as the fingers. For us, we found out that we needed to use a bit more lancet depth than the side of the fingers.

I have heard of some people using calf and thigh as well, but, in the upper Midwest, these aren’t very convenient so we never tried them :slight_smile: We may consider that now, although I feel they will have the same problem as the forearm: the blood there won’t be fresh enough I am afraid.

Like @docslotnick, I read that some glucose meters can accept one or another alternative site. But I think this must all be related to FDA approval. So that would not stop me if I was comfortable with a location.

I am really curious as to what you will find! But I would also triple check the new location against the fingers before dosing off of them or testing for lows.

2 Likes