"Accepting" diabetes: I don't buy it

I recently read an amazing statement by @SLEE:

Acceptance, I never really accepted the disease, I don’t accept diabetes as my identity, what I do accept are the things I must do, what I must do to live a happy existence. Like someone else said having D is just part of life.

What I have accepted is Life despite diabetes, I don’t have a life with diabetes, I have a life in spite of diabetes.

Gary put together words that I was struggling to find, to try and explain what I felt about this disease. I have never been able to accept the concept of acceptance. What exactly I am supposed to accept? That my son has a disease I cannot cure? That this disease puts limitations on my son’s life and goals?

I have no intention to ever accept this disease. Nor its limitations. I deny both.

This disease needs daily battle – it takes a fighting spirit, full of spunk and gusto, and even a touch of hatred to keep at it. When my son feels tired at 4:00am and badly wanting to sleep in the middle of a low, I hope that he will find the strength to stay up in his entire resolve to deny the enemy :slight_smile:

Acceptance sounds to my ears like quisling, like collabo – a crippling compromise that can only weaken my will. Untarnished conviction is what I want, because I reject every bit of this disease.

So I don’t look for acceptance. Over my spirit it has no hold!

What is acceptance to you?

[EDIT] here is the original post on tuD: TuDiabetes Forum

5 Likes