A1c Poll, how different from the standard population are we?

That would be tacky for sure…and would most certainly give the air of elitism. We’re definitely not that kind of crowd. A lot of us here started with bad A1C’s and although we may have decent A1C’s, to me, it’s like learning a new skill…you suck at it at first, but that’s the purpose of attaining knowledge and trial and error and having a great group of intellectuals who are willing to pass on their knowledge and wisdom. The hope, here at FUD, is that we can all help each other attain WHATEVER goals each person has. Want to get and maintain a good BG before/during and after swimming as DM came here looking for? No problem! Want to get a grip on nighttime highs or daytime lows? No problem! Want to bring down that A1C from 12 to 6? No problem! At FUD, it’s less about “being there” and more about the journey; about learning from one another; about passing along best practices; about learning NEW and exciting things; about building a community that is more like family than just another forum.

So although badges for such a thing would be distasteful, I believe our collective goal is to get EVERYONE’S goal to a 5 or 6% A1C IF the person has that as a goal! If someone comes with a 10% A1C and they don’t want to change that, there will be no pressure here. We may let them know the benefits of bringing it down, but we’ll never pressure anyone to do something that they aren’t comfortable with for themselves and their lives, or their children’s lives.

5 Likes

lol or in their profile picture wink wink @eric

5 Likes

OMG I had to laugh aloud so hard I lost my breath!

1 Like

I know, it’s been that way for a long time. The reason I kept it that way is because that is my pic over on TuD, so I wanted people to be able to recognize me if they came over here from there. That’s the only reason I left it alone.

maybe you’re not diabetic at all; maybe your endo is just as stupid as mine. :wink:

3 Likes

MaryPat, brings up a good point. This is a secret ballot. No one can or will look to see what each person’s results are.

The only reason I did this was a sneaking suspicion that we don’t have normal distribution of A1c’s. Definitely not to shame or prevent someone from learning.

The value in this poll, and the reason I want people to be honest, is that if everyone here is successful, then we have a great collection of approaches. And the cooler part is that there are a large variety of approaches described in our pages. If they are all successful ones, great. That would give me a great deal of hope that each person can find a path the best fits them and their lifestyle.

3 Likes

as i mentioned to chris earlier, maybe the 4% -ers, aren’t really D at all, they just want to be part of our prestigious club :wink:

6 Likes

I just wanted to meet you, DM.:heart_eyes:
:smiley:

3 Likes

everyone here on our site (FUD) has taught me how to nurture and love myself better. i no longer feel trapped by this disease; i enjoy a priceless sense of freedom. for anyone who reads my post on swimming, you will see the obviousness of that. this sight has helped to give me a brand new life. one which i wouldnt trade for the world. and i also know that no question is stupid or off limits. complements and encouragements reign.

9 Likes

:arrow_up: :x: :100: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I hope everyone new to the site reads what DM wrote. Nothing could better express what this place is all about.

5 Likes

@Chris, would it be possible to exchange lines between “8s” and “above 8” in the way the poll reads? This may be a tiny bit confusing.

If you mean the results, no the results are dynamic and I can’t control that. If you mean on the poll page, I was intending the above 8’s to be 9 and above. Is this not clear?

That’s what I mean, sorry. The way it shows right now some people might pick above 8s meaning 8s. But you can’t change it :slight_smile:

Your intent was very clear! The results are amazing. I hope people keep on giving answers.

Is the poll members-only?

1 Like

You do have to be logged in to answer the poll. I was able to change the tag to 9 or above.

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

I just changed my profile pic so I wouldn’t “offend” anyone.

Plus, it gives me something to shoot for.
:wink:

4 Likes

You mean, when you’re dead? :wink:

If I may be so bold, I would suggest leaving the 4.9 and changing the white text to mmol/l.

When I first saw your profile picture on the other website I thought it was mmol/l. I later realized it was A1C :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s because the HbA1c test hadn’t been invented yet (and once invented it wasn’t being routinely done). And for the first decade or so after it was being done, there was limited standardization of the test result, so it wasn’t really comparable from one testing site to another.

5 Likes

Bumping one time to try and get a few more entries before closing the poll.

1 Like