A pretty good letter to a new diabetic young adult

https://www.endpain.com/stories-letter-to-a-new-diabetic--f809906934d972a4ba989494f4c0bc9ba14e5a96

Very moving, thank you for posting.

We donā€™t all feel like her. I do all she does every day also, not just for a week: I log everything I eat and inject, and my BG. Sometimes I forget to log, but on the whole I log almost everything. I also decide how much to inject when I am high and how many carbs to eat when I am low. Most of the time I guess better than my dad what I need. I donā€™t have a pump but I do MDI. But itā€™s just something I have: I donā€™t hate it, except maybe when I have to stay up at night because I am low. And it may be helping her, but itā€™s not helping me: diabetes is tiring. But it is just a thing. Everyone has conditions. This is what I have.

3 Likes

I was really able to relate to her opening paragraphs: diagnosed DKA, in a mental fog, the fingersticks and peeing all the time. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

This is the mentality that I hope my son has with him when heā€™s your age, and older. Most of the time ā€œmind setā€ is everything. Kudos to you and your parents for fostering such a positive (and true). Sometimes, itā€™s hard to see the forest for all the treesā€¦but when you can still see the forest, itā€™s so beautiful.

Proud to know you guys.

3 Likes