8th Grade Science Fair Project— Meter Noise

Oh, and here’s the raw data points on Spike compared to the regular line. In case anyone is curious.

Ok, I apologize for speaking without looking at the data, I think that could be useful if you have enough experience with it. We are certainly not going to be doing it at this point, but we have other issues.

At 7:00 what would say about those three high measurements? i.e. what would you think when looking at those?

As far as sensors go there are two generations currently on the market. Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 1 measures the hydrogen peroxide on the surface of an electrode and rely’s on oxygen to re-oxidize the FAD centers in the Glucose Oxidase enzyme. Gen 2 uses an electro-active center to perform this function and then passes these electrons back to the electrode through center to center electron transfer.

Gen 1 has some issues namely that at the potential you have to poise the electrode to measure the hydrogen peroxide you also oxidize a number of other things such as Acetaminophen and ascorbic acid. So your glucose signal can be affected by these other things.

The G6 from all indications is a Gen 1 sensor, but I think they have refined the coatings to really improve things. The Libre is a Gen 2 sensor, and so has some theoretic advantages. With that said Dexcom being on the market longer and spending a lot on R&D has some great information on how to optimize their system. Unfortunately, Medtronic had first mover advantage but hasn’t kept up with improvements at the same rate as Dexcom in my opinion.

Finally, Gen 3 sensors may never reach the market but are really cool, because they have the electro active centers wired directly to the enzyme and the electrode surface. In the 90’s no one could make these last very long but they were really efficient.

1 Like

Great. So that’s a start. I understood everything right up until “the”. The rest got a little hazy, so good thing I asked for the basics and didn’t pretend I had any idea what I was talking about.

I’m going to have to sit down with this now and try to get a handle. The only other stuff I understood was *acetaminophen” because I’m a proficient headache-haver and the common expression unfortunatley, Medtronic because it’s a very popular transitional phrase. :grin: I’ll try to unscramble the rest.

As to the potential use of this type of raw data, I’m sure it does have great meaning to someone more familiar. In reality, I think I have done so much finger sticking that I already have an idea of what my real numbers look like. I know a 160 in Guardian is a 200+ by meter, a Dexcom 160 might be 160-175, and a Libre 160 might be a meter 150. But for people who only rely on their CGM, I’m sure this could really shed some light.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re looking for, but I would take those as either a rebound or just a fast rise. I’ve only recently been introduced to the idea of “smoothing” and am not sure of the details, but I assume the line that rounds the peak off is a result of that practice, just as it did for the low. Is that thinking incorrect?

I’ll attempt that reading again and see if I can’t find a little more on it.

1 Like

I’m too lazy to start a new thread but cannot just not share this…as I’m reading this paper in front of me…

So…they say all rules were written for a reason.

Looking at this year’s elementary school Science Fair rules (my first time doing this with my son), I want to know (or at least I think I want to know) the back story of these two:

1. Human body parts cannot be displayed. Exceptions are teeth (in a closed container), hair, and nails.
  2. Controlled substances cannot be displayed. This includes tobacco and over the counter medications.
2 Likes

Having run a number of science fairs in my time, you would not believe some of the requests. We had one project that slipped through our screening. They said they were demonstrating the effect of air-cushion vehicles. Now the rules said to make sure it fits on a tabletop, what showed up was a full size hovercraft powered by different air sources (the experiment) made out of a tabletop. (extra points for creative rule reading) and proceeded to knock over three other tables and a couple of participants before we shut that down.

A second person shows up without asking permission with a Llama and tried to get said llama into the gym. Can you imagine the sights and sounds that would have created as well as the mess on the floor and potential damage to the gym floor. Oh my.

2 Likes

That’s. Amazing. (assuming people weren’t hurt)

I remember a girl from a really religiously conservative family making her own beer for her science fair project in middle school. She got first place. And had beer at school. Public school. Maybe her winning makes more sense than I thought if she was slipping some beer to the teachers who judged everything.

2 Likes