8th Grade Science Fair Project— Meter Noise

My 8th grade science fair project was due yesterday, and I wanted to share. :grin:

Seriously, my son asked if I wanted to test my meters for the experiment (because last year I had wanted to do a calibration factor experiment but was shot down), and of course my answer was yes. So we tested the Relion Prime, the Contour Next One, and the Freestyle OneTouch. The Relion, reigning champ, did it again (taking victory lap), but I know we’re above a couple of points here or there so who’s keeping count? (Taking another victory lap).

AND FUD was the source for the testing. So hopefully that will make you all feel proud (or be a proper heads up in case the authorities show).

And now for the ant-sized images…

image image image image image image

One more…

13 Likes

Looks great, but you do realize it was your son’s project not your own. Correct? Hmmm?? Buehler…

5 Likes

Trust me. No one understands that better. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

If you are interested in an expert review, I have a PhD and have been a science fair judge at every level from grade school to judging the state finals for scholarships.

5 Likes

Nicky, love the subject and the bibliography!!!

I can’t quite read the stats and the conclusion on the pics. Can you give a quick summary or quote?

1 Like

My mom still owes me a book report…she did more projects for my sister than for me. I hold that over her head all the time.

I have been known to forge the homemade ornaments my kids made for relatives. I find if I hold the crayon backwards in the opposite hand, it looks pretty close to their coloring and handwriting.

Awesome project! Great information, as well! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Are you being funny??

I think an expert review would probably hurt… very badly, and although I’m not big into superficial flattery, an “awesome” would probably work. :smiley:

In what have you received a PhD??

Not accidental. :smiley:

The conclusion is that the ReliOn prime is a reliable little bugger… as is the Contour Next One. It was actually interesting because the Contour did not do well at the low BG range— at all, and I was a little surprised. However, I was testing 5 meters (trying out 2 very small CVS ones), and I was starting to have to work my fingers for blood. Eric mentioned that the Contour does not do well when you have to blot at your blood a couple of times, and I definitely had to do that during that test. It ended up with an average standard deviation of 7 something at a low blood sugar, and I didn’t think it felt characteristic of what I’ve seen in reality. The two CVS meters, by the way, did not impress. Over 15 tests, one of them ranged from 81 to like 119 or something with almost an equal amount of values falling on either end.

Anyway. I love my ReliOn, and I love my Contour, and confirmation is always a bonus. :smiley:

All jokes aside, I would be happy to put the real stats in here. It felt like a pretty thorough test— with 15 readings for 3 different meters in 3 different BG ranges. I also did another lab draw with the ReliOn, OneTouch, Contour, and the Freestyle ones that go with the OmniPod (this was not project related— was only curious), and my ReliOn did not come in first. The Freestyle did. :thinking: All so stinkin interesting… and then I forget to bolus for dinner. :smiley:

5 Likes

I pride myself off of how well I can pass off my sons’ signed names as of their doing. Always such a sense of accomplishment. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ha! Yes, that’s exactly what I found.

I think I told you about my CVS test. Bought the meter and pack of strips, went over to a corner of the store and sat down and tested through the pack and walked back to the counter and returned the meter and told the guy it was no good.

It had a huge range in its readings, all from about 5 minutes of testing.

2 Likes

No not funny at all. I love science. I have a PhD in chemistry. By happenstance and serendipity I actually focused on the creation and improvement of glucose sensors, 17 years before my son was diagnosed. Go figure. My review would be focused on helping your son extend his understanding or excitement around his project.

My work is part of the body of work that made the Libre sensor system.

9 Likes

@chris - Way to share the science joy :slight_smile:

I am an engineer (which is like a scientist who ignores the details and makes lots of assumptions). One thing that I missed out on in my younger days was some “real world” links to science education. I would have loved some good feedback and encouragement.

6 Likes

@Chris… you… know … about sensors??

And have been here all along???

Oh, I’ve got questions

A lot of questions. But I’m going to need a keyboard…

4 Likes

Can we assume they would say the same whenever they need to replicate your signature?

2 Likes

Cool project idea, and I’m sure it was an interesting set of experiments for you both (he at least like, helped, hopefully? :stuck_out_tongue:)

By 8th grade I knew that my dad’s signature is easier to mimic than my mom’s… :innocent:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Okay, that’s not even funny. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I think many of us know this but… it is kind of like being at a party with a doctor friend and asking about your medical conditions :wink:

Actually there are a few old threads where @Chris talks about sensor science which are cool - need to dig those up.

2 Likes

Am I not supposed to do that? I bring my list of symptoms. :grin:

If you dig up any threads, I’d love to check them out.

I have very few social skills by the way. I don’t get out much.

2 Likes

My dad taught me how to forge his signature when I was in elementary school… in a very interesting parenting choice. Such a bad idea. :grin:

2 Likes

I love to ask lawyer friends for free legal advice. This explains the long pauses…

1 Like