14 hours without insulin... what could you expect to happen?

I am 4.8 (86.4 mg/dl) right now and I feel fine and look as attractive as ever :laughing:

3 Likes

And you’re sure you’re talking about the right kind of high?

3 Likes

I agree with these sentiments. I get mad about unpredictable BGs, frustrated with having to juggle carb-counting and bolusing in the middle of cooking, and so on and so forth. I also agree with @docslotnick’s “Diabetes is whatever you make of it.”

I had a friend who hated her hair. It was straight and brown. She curled it, permed it, frizzed it, colored it blond and black and copper and purple. She still hated it. One day I said, “What’s the real problem?” Next time I saw her, she had straight brown hair. And was divorced.

I can’t do much about my clients’ crazy work deadlines or my colleagues’ ineptitude or my mother’s manipulations or my father’s dementia or the condo manager’s inability to schedule window cleaning each spring or the last election … When I step back, breathe, zero in on what is really the problem, it isn’t my diabetes. That’s just the closest target and easiest to lash out at.

5 Likes

I feel like I’m watching a movie, and just when I start to snort/cry, something funny happens and it turns into a snort/cry/laugh.

But then I’m crying again.

This place is a mix of beauty and kindness and understanding. We’re humans. We have a… I’d like to say difficult disease, but I have a feeling this will be the beginning of the next thread.

What a safe nice place that we can say whatever we want but without having to explain it all. And where the biggest conflict (that I’ve seen so far… but we shall see) comes as a result of one diabetic wanting another to feel free of the burden. PERCEIVED burden. Geez… now i’m walking on eggshells. Trying to stay clear of the land mines…

I am the UN, by the way. Always finding conflict and sprinkling it with greeting card expressions and words of sympathy and inspiration until vomiting prevents people from participating any more.

But seriously. I’m going to compile a “BEST OF” from this thread… this is the one with dead cats and hated families, right?

3 Likes

Sure. Men often ARE the problem.

2 Likes

I think it all started when my mother dressed me up for Halloween on the wrong day at my preschool. You see, I was a socially awkward child who found the other children too raucous, and as her third child she had little resolve to fight me on wanting to go to preschool late everyday so I could skip the first 20 minutes of playtime.

So all the kids are staring at me as I walk in, that quiet girl who always came in late…and I’m the only one dressed up. I was wearing Hanes blue sweats and a plastic Cookie Monster smock and a plastic Cookie Monster mask already covered in condensation from my breathing from climbing the back church steps to the classroom. Everyone watched me unceremoniously remove the $3.99 plastic smock and mask. And I had to wear ugly sweats for the rest of the morning.

So, I think that’s where it all started…

2 Likes

i couldnt be more compassionate in this regard. if you look at my swimming thread, you will see that it took me an entire year to learn how to swim for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, 4 days a week while managing my T1D. it was a long road from the beginning. and it came with fears and apprihensions., much like you have posted about. but i really wanted it for myself. i wanted the life change. i wanted to see the results of an A1c under 7%. i wanted to feel strong both in mind and in body. i wanted to look in the mirror at myself and know without a shadow of a doubt that i am worth fighting for and that i deserve to be able to do whatever it is that i want, when i want without worrying that D will interfere with my dreams.

yes, it took planning. yes it took extra effort. yes, at times, it was more of a challenge than i thought i could manage. yes, in the beginning, i resented having to live with D and do things a bit differently than someone w/out D. but now, it works like a Swiss clock, and i am so proud of that. i have learned a lot about myself from just challenging myself with this life-style change. the greatest thing i have learned about this process, is that i need to be flexible at all times. that worrying about being in a specific target range 24/7 is not worthwhile. worry, itself, accomplishes nothing; it only promises and guarantees discomfort in body and mind and spirit. and i dont want to be uncomfortable. i want to be and to feel UNLIMITED.

i DON’T want to come off as arrogant. this took a LOT of work. but it was there for the taking. AND I DID NOT EVER DO THIS ALONE!!! everyone here at our FUD community got me to where i am today. i had teachers and i had cheerleaders. everyone here taught me how to improve. one step at a time.

now my life is completely different. it has become second nature to me. not just swimming, but my attitude towards my D. my attitude about food. my attitude about my BGs. my willingness to handle situations which used to baffle me. EVERYTHINGin my life has changed.

and i am happy. i feel proud. and i am MUCH more relaxed about living with T1D than i ever could have imagined. and i think that by having T1D i have become a much stronger person than people i know who are not blessed with this disease. YES, i said it: i am blessed with this disease.

9 Likes

I love and appreciate everything you’ve said, @daisymae.

I’ve reached out to my team today to explore going back on shots. All my site and pump failures are kicking my butt so maybe it’s time to do something else.

3 Likes

i tried out the Dexcom about 3 years ago. i gave it a try for around 1 1/2 yrs. it just didnt work for me. i am very very thin, and i couldnt get enough body fat to attach it to. i would hit cappilaries, i would bleed at the injection site, i couldnt get accurate readings from it. i tried everything. i used every body location i could imagine. i wore it on my tummy, my tushy, my thighs, my hips, my arms. but i did give it my all before packing it in.

since then, i do about 20 finger sticks a day. ( i buy my test strips on Amazon at a very reasonable $$ ) i find that i can really get a great result by doing that. the only downer is the calluses on my poor fingertips :blush:. now my A1c is down to 4.9%. so for me, the sensor is not the be all to end all. ( i must admit, as an aside, though, that i was just re-approved by Medicare for the G5 Dexcom. they are paying 100% so i figured, WHY NOT !! ) i’ll see if it will work for me this time. maybe, maybe not. but i have nothing to lose.

so, if shots worked for you, then go for it!!!

(i’ll just mention this, though, i tried a number of infusion sets before i found one that worked for me. right now,and for the past 15 or so years, i use the MM quick set sillouet with a tiny infusion needle. i have no problems with it…well, rarely. very rarely. maybe it would work for you. I cannot wear the Pod, either, but the MM pump is awesome.)

hope some of this helps.

2 Likes

So… LOOP.

How does this work? I could go look it up, but I’d love a quick summary— even a single word (software???) as long as it’s not “loop”. :slight_smile:

If i don’t hear back, i’ll go look it up. :smiley:

Short, non-technical answer - it just does what the 670G is supposed to do. It makes automatic adjustments to your basal, based on your CGM numbers.

It’s kind of like what the 670G would be if it worked…

I will leave all the technical and more detailed answers to others.
:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @T1Allison - I so needed to laugh out loud HARD. Check.

1 Like

@Beacher I second that emotion!

1 Like

I love the idea of a 670G that works… you’ve got me hooked.

Eric’s explanation is good. There’s a thread on this forum that gives a good introduction. Loop: Getting Started

2 Likes

I do NOT want to bring this back from the dead, but I left you hanging… kind of on everything you posted over the last couple of days. I’d like to reciprocate now. It’s taken me three runs where I do my best epiphanizing to think of what it all means… My feelings about my diabetes. I’m not sure what’s behind it. Maybe it’s just the disease, or maybe it’s because I developed it later in life, or because of the difficulty and challenge in if not letting it kill me while raising three small children, or maybe it’s because of my need to attach a number to every second of it (I hear you log, too). I’m not sure what it is, but I can see we have some things in common here. Maybe it’s some combination of these things, or the sum of it all, that lands us in the same “how I feel about diabetes” boat. I don’t think it’s coincidence though that we find ourselves here, posting, prodding, asking questions, and making changes. And giving those feelings a stage and audience, hopefully uprooting them. So cheers to you and cheers to this place. I hope, Eric and Daisymae, not through duty but by example, that you guys will get us there, too. Debbie Downers that we are. :grin:

And @Jen, I don’t know you or know anything about you, but you come across as a very strong person. I know I’m late to respond to any of this, but you guys were in the throes, and, honestly, I didn’t know how to. I’m not sure what your story is, but I hope today is gentle and easy and predictable. At least for a couple of minutes. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Love this. Starting a new thread in a bit…

1 Like