What Is The Attraction To Wearing An OmniPod vs. A Tethered Pump?

thats sounds horrible. once you deactivate it what happens then?

1 Like

What horrible about it? Lol. When it’s done, you take it off and put on another one.

We don’t ever hear the ringing… Well not frequently, because we usually change it out during that last hour.

The alternative to the siren (it’s not horrible loud) is that you don’t notice is expired (and no longer delivering insulin) and your sugars rise.

1 Like

When I was using this system, an alarm would go off at the end of the 8-hour grace period and it would stop delivering insulin. Timing.pod changes was important…always made sure to have a couple of extras and supplies on hand for a change-out.

It is super annoying. Pretty sure it’s the point ‘change me change me change me’ lol…

1 Like

how on earth do you cope with that? i am so glad to be tethered rather than have that to deal with :wink:

1 Like

Yep. You’ve milked me enough… Time to milk a new one!

1 Like

Deal with what?? Every pump site has to be changed… There is no such thing as a permanent pump site. This is no different.

Permanent site = infection.

1 Like

what i meant was how do you deal with the alarm and how do you deal with the time-frame limitation? do you have to carry extra PODS with you every day in case there is a malfunction?

i know this!!! :blush:

When we are out, yes, we have an extra pod in our carry pack. In more than two years, we’ve never needed it.

When at home we prevent it by just changing the pod before the siren goes off. The pdm gives you all the info that you need in order to know the exact time you need to change it to avoid the siren.

where do you wear it for the most part? do you have a favored location? are there locations that are completely unusable?

with my MM insertion, it lies flat; it doesnt stick out at all (the way the Dex does). i rotate all around my abdomen and the sides of my tummy.

We user Liam’s upper and side thighs and his upper buttocks area. Six sites. We rotate through the six sites with the cannula facing in one direction then when we are finished, we rotate to the same sites with the cannula facing the opposite direction. His arms (biceps) are used for CGM rotations only.

We keep records of all transactions just because I’m off.

We don’t care so much about how flat it is (although it’s much smaller than most people envision it being) and more about it getting snagged all the time and tubes hanging all over the place.

doesnt he have problems pulling his pants up and down?

when i was on the DEX, i didnt have enough Sub Q “fat” on my tummy and the sensor was always malfunctioning. i tried it on my upper buttocks, my hips, my sides, but nothing worked.

recently i did another “trial” run with my endo. i wore it on the back side of my upper arm. this seemed to work, but it did feel funny when i was swimming. i’ve only seen once person at the pool who wore a POD. she seemed very satisfied with it during her swim. no interference for her at all.

Nope. No problems at all.

We will be cycling in his abdomen also when he’s a bit older.

I can imagine using a pump on your legs would be more of an issue when the tubes are involved though.

Actually, legs are really easy to use with a tubed pump. Honestly pumps are pumps in my mind. They all have some pro’s and con’s it is really just which one of the pro’s and con’s are most important to you at the current time.

They all offer the most important thing, which is micro-dosing compared to undiluted shots and the ability to tailor basal which allows for the postponement or skipping of meals reasonably effortlessly. Also, they offer the ability to decide you would like to eat more and to easily dose for that.

Oh, and the ability to reduce basal when you are trending low.

3 Likes

It’s really not a big deal. You know that you have to change it after 3 days (actually 80 hours) after you start it. It’s never a surprise time to change, unless the site goes bad.

But if the site goes bad, the alarm tells you, rather than you just having rising BG and not knowing why.

2 Likes

I would prefer an alarm over no alarm any day when someone else’s life is in my hands.

1 Like

this sounds like an excellent feature (like with the DEX). i would love to have a feature like this on my pump !

i do have certain alarms that go off, like “NO DELIVERY,” but i am not certain if this is the same thing as what you are talking about.

i would like to add that one of the key points that appeals to me about the POD is that it is waterproof, so you dont have to disconnect for certain activities like swimming, showers, etc.

but, what about when doing “grown-up stuff?” doesnt it get in the way?

I wore one during a test…I can tell you it does NOT get in the way. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am looking to test it a few (500 or so) more times to test all variables… For science.

4 Likes

Just for clarification, it does not tell you about things like absorption problems. But it will tell you about occlusions.