Update on proposed Pre-existing Conditions amendment

In name only:-) Normally you would be right – not by much – but someone rammed me from behind and pushed in the frame about 2". So it’s officially totaled, but I had the frame shop weld it a bit, and I am still driving it…

The good news is – I taught my first son to drive with it and I had absolutely no fear! I am hoping that I can teach my second son (12 years old) with it as well :slight_smile:

The bad news is – whenever I drive this car I am quite a bit more aggressive on the freeway :slight_smile:

Somehow I suspect that’s not your only car…

true :slight_smile: When I take the family out, particularly in heavy snow, I drive a Highlander.

Yeah we bought a 2007 Honda Pilot for Shelly and the kids… which is still an older car than most of America (even those with less privelage and opportunities) drive… great car for Alaska though

1 Like

Pilots are great. My wife and I both drive one.

I like the pilot but have always been disappointed with the fuel economy… I thought I was making a compromise toward a midsize SUV with it that would get a little better mileage. In reality it’s worse than my friend’s suburban

If you’re doing your own maintenance make sure you’re changing the rear diff fluid with the brand name Honda vtm4 fluid periodically it’s their weak link

It was one of the only crossover/SUV that we found (and liked) that could BUCKLE 8 people. Fuel consumption is average for a vehicle that size. Mine is around 18 mpg. I do my own maintenance so I’ll keep that in mind!

Not trying to supercharge this discussion, but in addition to the Cobra (which covers for the one use case mentioned) most states had a risk pool for those denied coverage, which had a sliding scale for what you had to pay based on ability to pay.

Now, until we remove the employer completely from the health insurance issue, seems like nothing will change. Once everyone has to pull $1500 a month out of their pocket to purchase insurance I can guarantee you that things will change rapidly. Make everyone get their insurance through a marketplace and I am confident we will see big changes in our healthcare system. Note: Needs to also include the govt employees and elected officials.

3 Likes

What their opinion of what people “should be” able to pay, often doesn’t match what they “can actually” afford to pay, though. According to my home purchasing power I can “afford” a $1M home…but would I purchase one and could I ever possibly pay that amount each month given all my other financial obligations? Nope.

I’m more for single payer system myself…it’s the best way to ensure everyone; regardless of income, socioeconomic status, employment status, etc., gets covered with fair and equal health coverage. No ones life is more important than anyone elses…so the poor should not be “priced out” of life…which was the case prior to the ACA, and an attempt is being made to go back to that era now, again.

Harold, I think you are conflating “health coverage” with “health care”. They are distinctly different. Having some insight into the pressure managed care companies bring to bear on providers, I think that the quality of care you would get in a single payer system would be dismal.

Then make it good. I know…everything sounds easy. What was it that Trump said? “Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated.”

Yeah…literally EVERYONE knew it but him, apparently.

Are doctors supposed to make it good for $50k/ year salary? You’ll start to get far more lawyers than doctors coming out of school. How can you morally mandate that
someone give you the benefit of their hard work and skill for what would be a substandard remuneration?

They should receive fair pay, like any other profession, for the skill and education that they have, among other factors. Should they be able to bilk patients because oftentimes patients are in life and death situations and have no choice? No. Should they run tests and do things outside the scope of the necessity of what’s being treated for “extra pay”? No.

Hopefully, if anything at all good comes from this healthcare discussion, it’s to provide the consumer with a “price list” like any other good or service in America so that consumers truly can be “in control” of their healthcare and “choose” from the best doctors, charging the least for their services (if costs are a factor in the decision making process…which I would wager it would be for 99% of the population.)

1 Like

@ClaudnDaye I can’t tell you how much I agree with you on this Harold! That is a big part of the free market system for which I advocate. Let people (consumers) make fully informed important decisions for themselves in their own best interests.

1 Like