Ummm....wow?

That’s very interesting.

Anyone else have a difference like that?

1 Like

The fast drops are way more noticeable to me and come with the full set of hypo symptoms when they drop into the low range. Fast drops at higher levels (from a high blood sugar to an in range one) are also noticeable to me, but with a more limited symptom set, primarily sudden increased hunger that is incongruent with actual food need. Slow drops, or coasting lows as I think of them, have relatively few symptoms until I go fairly low. At a low enough value, I will feel hypo symptoms regardless of speed.

6 Likes

This is also why I suspect people who experience rebound hunger a little while after eating (a thing I’ve heard a few non-diabetics describe) are probably experiencing early stages of insulin resistance, because I’m guessing they spike up following meals and eventually their pancreas catches up and slams enough insulin to bring them plummeting down, and even if they don’t go hypo, that plummet downward brings that hunger despite not actually needing food (which could also contribute to overeating/weight gain). I wonder if it’s a symptom that PCPs etc should ask people about, since might show up before clinically significant A1cs etc do.

2 Likes