FUDiabetes

Trying the Eversense implanted CGM

Well I am now getting Sensor #2 inserted in late October. I was originally scheduled for late Sept, and we (endo and I) decided to delay a month. Long story, but it involves an infected cut I was knocking down with antibiotics and the endo recommended that I be positive the infection was gone before we insert the Eversense. I did get the haywire sensor removed on Sept 24. The removal was not as crisp and quick as #1 back in July (seems like ages ago, I am running around too much these days) and took about 10 minutes. The wound from sensor removal seems to be healing OK.

Maybe we can compare Eversense accuracy after I get the next sensor?

1 Like

Let me guess… you will be wearing Eversense, dexcom G6, G5, Medtronic G3, and Libre all at the same time. We want a comprehensive review!!!

3 Likes

Well, I can always dream anyway…

1 Like

That would be awesome. :+1:

1 Like

The removal scar was a little larger than the insertion…I don’t care about scars, but I know some people do, in which case, eversense may not make sense…unfortunately it sounded like john58 had one if the recalled sensors…its supposed to be fixed now…

2 Likes

That is about what I would expect from a subcutaneous implant. Lengthen that to about 3" and you have a pacemaker insertion scar. Hopefully they create a biodegradable unit, since the insertion scars would be so much smaller.

1 Like

Not sure I’d want a sensor boodegrading in my flesh but I hope we’ll continue to see all kinds of new CGM tech in future years. My removal scar is smaller than @RogerType1 but still noticeable enough to probably bother a person prone to wanting nice skin on their arm.

FYI just had Sensor #2 inserted this AM. Planning to let it acclimate for a week or more (maybe until my G5 transmitter dies). I will probably start a new thread with some data, time permitting…stay tuned!

3 Likes

This is a totally awesome thread! Definitely keep us informed both of you.

Since it is so accurate, do you think it will ever get to the point where it can be like the G6 and not require any calibration on a regular basis?

3 Likes

I have gotten everything done to get the sensor, and Eversense mailed it to my endo (new endo) almost a month ago. It’s been sitting there since. I’ve finally heard back from my local guy who is supposed to be helping me find a location where I can get it implanted, but he still has no information for me. He was going to try to see if they could train someone in the area… I’m just outside of Washington, D.C… and the idea they have to find someone to train is pretty crazy. I’ve heard Eversense has a few problems on the business management end, and I’ve gotta say I can see why. Really looking forward to getting it going. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

That sounds frustrating! Maybe the sales rep you’re dealing with is clueless and you’d have better luck getting a referral for the insertion from the endo office? My endo made a referral to another local endo (Seattle area) for the insertion…that part of the process was pretty seamless for me. If I recall correctly, there were several endo choices locally for that referral.

I don’t know much about their management issues but I would guess they are in panic mode these days trying to juice up sales.

3 Likes

Only time will tell but I hope they have that as a goal for the future because it seems like most CGM users don’t like to calibrate. I’m one of the odd balls that does not mind calibrating, it gives me a little peace of mind that everything is still working properly. But the Eversense calibrations are a little naggy in giving you a time window twice a day when you must calibrate. Back on the G5 lately it feels like a luxury to just be able to blow off a requested calibration if I feel like waiting…that option is a little clunky on the Eversense.

I would reach out to your endo who already has it and try to have him/her do the implant… the rep has to oversee the implant, so they will be there the whole time, plus senseonics only certifies after 3 surgeries, so it is possible different endos in your area have only implanted one or two. I’m having insurance company issues, but if I had better insurance, id stay on it for life… for now I might be forced back on the libre for financial reasons, even though I have to buy another miao miao, the libre is,still half the price or $398 (6 libres plus 200 for the miao miao 2)vs $900 for the eversense sensor plus the cost of the implant procedure

3 Likes

Just read that it’s designed to be an “adjunct” to fingersticks, not a replacement. :frowning:

2 Likes

Nothing beats blood. But. CGM w no insertion. Love that

3 Likes

Hi @JonDeutsch! Not sure what you use currently, but the G6, at least for me, is about as close to a finger stick replacement as it gets… with current technology at least. :woman_shrugging: Even the Libre, once I figured out my patterns on it, meant I could test only during the most important decisions or during my most turbulent periods. I’m curious, @John58 and @RogerType1 (and I’m sure you’ve commented on this up there), how often do you find yourself needing to use the meter with your Senseonics?

@RogerType1, I appreciate the advice on picking up my sensor. I’d like to patch you through directly to both my endo and my local EverSense dude. They seem to be locked into some kind of disagreement on the details of who, what, when, where, why, and how. All of them. At this point, I’d be willing to give it a shot myself. :neutral_face:

Hi. My point was slightly different. :grin:

The Libre (which I use) may be +/- 20% accurate, but it doesn’t force me to calibrate. For me, zero fingersticks is the killer app. I’m OK if the new device says “may be less accurate without daily calibration” but I’m not OK if the device simply won’t function without a regular fingerstick calibration process.

Frankly, I’m not sure what the reality it is with this device regarding the above!

1 Like

My eversense rep and the nurse practitioner were making jokes on my 1st insertion that they were going to watch an eversense insertion on you tube for a refresher…your city has about half of my state’s population(maine)… if your eversense rep is still having trouble finding a willing operator, I could text my rep and see if he could help…he had 2 other eversense people at my last insertion, so your situation sounds ridiculous…

2 Likes

The eversense does require two daily calibrations, but it also is the most accurate Cgm…although the twice daily calibrations is probably the reason it is accurate… I rarely checked my blood when I used the libre, my problem besides the scarring, accidentally removing it with long sleeves, skin tac, mastisol, flexfix tape, etc, was that it was falling off in the winter after about 3-5 days…they would replace them, but it was still annoying, and a few times they wanted the old ones back which was a slight hassle…and my old blucon and miao miao didn’t work with the 14 day sensors…

re: Libre, I’ve never had a problem with it falling off, primarily due to the fact that I immediately apply a no-hole Simpatch atop of it upon installation. Likely due to the Simpatch and back-of-arm location, I’ve never had a problem…even when it occasionally gets caught in a door jam.

I live in Maine and winters can be 10°-35°…I always thought summer would be an issue, but it wasn’t…probably has something to do with the glue. I have reactions to any patches, like simpatch… itches after a few days, 3" self adhesive tape helps, but its still cumbersome compared to eversense… my insurance deductible is too high…libre is still the cheapest Cgm…