Travel!

Such a great question!

What we do:

• carry a letter from our endo stating that my son is a diabetic

• carry an extra paper prescription for insulin, just in case

• frio bag for insulin. It evaporates water to keep insulin cool

• special carry sling bag with shock cord for the frio bag, so that the frio bag is carried outside (held by the shock cord), not inside (otherwise it won’t evaporate as much)

• PK2 cooler bag by Packit. It is a small freezable bag which is a perfect size for insulin. You freeze the bag itself, then put insulin in it.

• extra insulin, in two different containers, in case we lose or break one

• one extra Dexcom transmitter, and several extra sensors

• a spare glucose meter, and extra batteries for the glucose meters

• one backpack per person so we can split supplies across

• spare charging cables (usb, lightning etc.)

• extra lithium external batteries to recharge iPhone (we receive the Dexcom on in iPhone) and Dexcom receiver

• multiple types of charging connectors for electronics

• ebook readers for everyone (they carry a lot more charge than phones/ tablets and are lighter than books)

• if we need a computer, most times we take a small Chromebook rather than a windows laptop for lighter weight. But we can do almost anything with a phone these days. We only take the laptop if we need to do a lot of document typing. If we need to review spreadsheets of presentations, then we take a windows laptop.

• lots of alcohol wipes

• lots of Ziploks

• two small first-aid kits, and two bottles of ibuprofen, in two different backpacks

• one bottle of water per backpack

• a few plastic utensils, 2xAA LED flashlights and spare batteries, one extension cord and a multiprong plug

• a few more things I won’t list so I won’t bore you to death.

We experience both more highs and more lows. The food is more unpredictable and produces difficult highs to gauge. But, also, we walk most of the day almost every day, and my son tends to have long, slow lows afterwards, which we try to anticipate by refueling some carbs often during the day.

Looking forward to seeing what others do for travel!

3 Likes