Teens Learning to Drive

Ha! You and Eric would get along. He will also generally eat anything, but he wouldn’t eat the black spotted glucose tabs!

We were out in the middle of nowhere, lost looking for someone’s rural home, and he went low while driving, pulled over to the side of the road. Luckily, I had a hostess gift along of local apples, so he ate one of those. And I took over driving until we found their house, and he drank their juice. Now I have lots of sugar in the car and check it more regularly. :wink:

@chris The story about the lady coming out to yell at you kids was really funny. I can only imagine that if you were in California, she would’ve just called the cops on you.

2 Likes

I wasn’t the teacher, but here is an example with a minor wreck.
My co-worker was the instructor, and I think they were in the less than 30 hours at that point.

While driving down a multi-lane road ( not expressway), and usually quite busy, my friend told her son the lane they were in would soon be right turn only, and to merge to the left. He responded a bit too quickly, not realizing there was plenty of time to merge left. Ended up side swiping the car to the left, with damage to both cars.

One thing I’ve observed is that when teens are passengers before learning to drive, they are usually not aware at all of roads, turns, etc to places you go frequently. One time I was driver, and asked the pre-driving teens in the car to tell me how to get to the mall, that we had driven to many times before. They really had no clue, and we ended up way out of the way.

3 Likes

That is a good lesson indeed! My older son took quite a while before he developed his internal map. Of course his younger brother started paying attention, and is a bit better with the internal map. That is a skill! Especially with all of the electronic mapping, my kid’s generation will never stop at a gas station to look at a 10 year outdated map under the glass at a cash register…

3 Likes

This is really a great point! I find that as a kid growing up in the 80s, I was allowed to sit in the front seat of the car and thus understood where we were going because I could see it. Today, kids are in the backseat until they are 12 or something, how we hand them a set of keys at 15 and expect them to know how to drive is beyond me. (I understand airbags, and I am not suggesting that we put children in the front seat of the car if there are airbags.) but I do think that this fact changes the way our young drivers interact with the vehicle, the road, and changes understanding of how driving works.

2 Likes

Maybe we could find a way to merge Mario Cart with Google earth so teens can take a virtual drive before ever getting behind the wheel.

4 Likes

I was hoping to do just that with my son this winter, but I waited a bit too long and we have not had any good ice the past 4 weeks. I am thinking it is too late for this year :frowning: Who would have thought there was be no ice all of Feb?

3 Likes

Climate scientists? :stuck_out_tongue:

Although to be fair, climate change has also meant extreme and unpredictable weather, so who knows, you could have a blizzard in April or something. We’re about to get a big storm here in the Northeast.

2 Likes

Michel you can ship your boy over here and we can give him some snow driving time.

Obviously for security reasons we could not provide a final destination and would have to route him through a minimum of three major airports with last minute change of planes to throw off any trackers but I am sure you would be fine with that. Just normal precautions.

3 Likes

My dad also gave me practice skidding, in parking lots with snow, not ice. But now with anti lock brakes, it’s a bit different how to respond.

3 Likes

If your phone is damaged in a serious accident, the phone won’t help :wink:

Sure, which is why I also have a wallet card. If both are gone, and my dexcom is ripped off of my stomach (since that would also be a pretty clear cue of the diabetes at least once at a hospital), I’m probably pretty screwed anyway.

Yep - we have “do not disturb while driving” set on all our iPhones.

I’m guessing if all that happened, your medical alert ID would probably have been ripped off too :smiley:

Truth be told, mine is on my phone. Just not something I worry about too much. It is like that feature newer cars have, where they will call for help if you have an accident. I always wonder how they will call if my phone is killed…

1 Like

It is a bit different, but snow/ice rules are pretty much the same, regardless of braking system. Be aggressive with the steering wheel, steady with the gas, and very light with the brake.

1 Like

Those are good pedestrian rules. And yes, the current crop of iphones include a setting to go into do not disturb when over 15 mph or something like that.

I am always drilling into them, that killing someone, especially a neighborhood kid, would be life altering and devastating, so be careful!

3 Likes

I will go one further, based on what the sheriff told me: Kill the animal to avoid a collision. Even if you love animals.

1 Like

I’d like to qualify that suggestion. React quickly with the steering wheel to recover from an incipient spinout. I think that may be what you meant. Otherwise, be smooth and gentle with the steering and the accelerator and brakes in any conditions of reduced traction (snow, ice, heavy rain): any strong input tends to weaken the traction and induce a slide. And I note that by smooth and gentle I don’t mean slow, I mean absence of abruptness.