Tandem t:slim X2 Insulin Pump

Update:

Had my training today and put on the Tandem about 2 hours ago. Just did my first bolus, then realized I never took my pod off. Ooops. I had only background, so I know it was about 2 units on board that my tandem wouldn’t know about. I ate my lunch + 2 extra units worth of carbs. Idk if that was necessary, but rather be safe than sorry as I live alone. Was at 6.4 pre lunch, went to 5.7, now I’m 6.1.

I think I’ll skip the gym today and do a workout at home later.

That brings up another Q. Since I can’t shower with the thing, and I feel like a germ ball when I get home from the gym, can I wipe the tandem and tube with an alcohol wipe when I get home?

1 Like

I am going to apply this technique to all areas of life mishaps. I get way too emotional if I’m stressed or frustrated. Once so much that I kicked something in rage, and ended up breaking my toe! Complete stupidity.

2 Likes

You disconnect the tubing from the infusion site. Then shower as normal.

1 Like

I wasn’t clear at all ha ha sorry, what I mean is the tubing and pump will have germs on them from rolling around on the gym floor, using communal equipment, etc. So I want it to be clean. Can I use an alcohol wipe on it? I do so with my POD PDM, and phone, for example.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Makes more sense!
No reason you cannot wipe it down as needed.

2 Likes

There’s a great video teacher - her name is Barbara Oakley - and she has some of the most popular Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in the world. Her focus is on “learning how to learn” (she has courses on Coursera and Edx - short, easily accessible and excellent if you are interested in improving your approach to learning).

All of which is to second @psfud123’s observations about making mistakes.

In Oakley’s most recent class (on Edx, with a norwegian guy), she talks about two systems of learning - the one where you are just figuring stuff out, where you have to be conscious of all the things going on (like Psfud’s checklist for getting out of a chair), and then the one where everything becomes almost unconscious - a habit. When it becomes unconscious, you can do other things while performing that action - for example, talking while driving a car or riding a bike, getting up without fainting.

But it’s a process to go from the learning to creating a habit.

If you’ve been a diabetic for a long time, chances are you have created a bunch of habits, things that you do almost unconsciously. It just becomes part of how you live your life.

When I first got the Tandem pump, the amount of new stuff was a bit overwhelming. I really appreciated an in-person, hands-on training session from a pump user (who is paid by Tandem to walk you through your first session). And I eventually incorporated the pump into my habits.

3 Likes

I am not sure this is where to ask but here goes. I’m Type 1 for 37 years and still using insulin pens along with CGM. Considering tandem pump as my first pump Nervous about the transition and all the learning. A1c been great with shots but too many highs and lows. Interested in thoughts of switching and pump preferences. I want easy to use

4 Likes

Welcome ISpinsulin! Hope you find these forums useful.

Before providing any perspective, can you give us a bit more information?

Can you provide a little more on “easy to use” - as per my post above, when you say “easy to use” do you mean something that doesn’t require you to develop new habits? Are you willing to sign up for a few weeks of pretty major change to your routines, while you establish new ones?

Those are hard questions, but you might want to start with a simpler one – How do you feel about your CGM? Do you like it or does it feel like an additional pain (speaking of which, I was just buzzed and beeped because my sensor is expiring in six hours … thanks Dexcom).

Let us know and we can take it from there.

2 Likes

I have been on Tandem for 3 days, was on Omnipod for years. IMHO Omnipod is way easier, but Tandem is far superior. I’m sure Tandem will be easy for me too with time.

5 Likes

There will be a learning curve, but Tandem pump settings can be tweaked to get results you desire.

But you also seem to be doing great using pens. The extra steps of cartridge and infusion site changes may be more time consuming than MDI. But the benefit is real time adjustment of basal to your pattern, vs the injected routine.

I used medtronic pumps for 20+ years before switching to Tandem CIQ, and the dexcom cgm is the biggest advantage for me. Soon to have bolus delivery from phone, which would be nice.

It’s possible your A1C could initially rise as you get used to it, and tweak the settings.
You may also experiment with things that are challenging with MDI, easier with pump, such as exercise basal reduction, integration with dexcom, app on phone to see pump data, etc.

3 Likes

Good questions! Hmm. I love my CGM which is why I am considering tandem vs Medtronic I hate admit it but sometimes I get lazy if I take a small snack and don’t take a shot because it’s inconvenient or today I was low and ate a banana and I went sky high. I hear the pump can accommodate your low blood sugar when calculating your bolus based on how many carbs you are eating. I would love to not have to carry everything around with me and have the flexibiiity of easy insulin injections without leaving table I am seeking a more stable range of blood sugars vs highs and lows. I am often up in middle of night with low blood sugars and sometime multiple times.

How long is the learning curve. Is their a carb counter built in to pump ?

3 Likes

There’s not a carb counter built in, but it does make a lot of different kinds of adjustments. It makes dosing really easy as the software will fine tune any dosing you do by taking into account the info from the CGM.

If you like the CGM, then I expect you’ll like the Tandem. As I’ve mentioned above, the Tandem support folks are great in that they give you a one on one tutorial. It is a complex system but it is helpful at whatever level you choose to utilize it.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m nervous about learning a new way of doing things after 37 years of doing it one way. My Dr says I already carb count (although not great) and I’m tech savvy so he says I should do it If I want. I’m sure I’ll have more questions so I’m happy I joins this forum!

3 Likes

I just did my first workout with the pump. I took it easy as I was scared of it falling off. I didn’t use the diabetes spi belt because where my dexcom was it was catching on it, so I just clipped my tandem in my pocket. I don’t think I’d feel secure enough jumping around so I think I better find some new leggings with deep pockets or something.

4 Likes

The ability to dose when you eat (rather than take a shot for an unplanned or small snack), is one of the key benefits to a pump. The pump also simplifies things for many, but does require a bit of change in how you manage, hence the comments on learning a new way. The great news if you aren’t financially stretched by paying the deductible/copays you can always get a pump and see how you like it, and if it doesn’t work for you go back to shots. My son loves his Tandem pump, it really simplified his diabetes management. He also takes a pump vacation and goes back to shots for at least a month each year, so both approaches have their merits.

2 Likes

I do all kinds of things with the SPI Belt. I pretty much wear it 24/7, except for showers, etc.
It is one more thing to get used to, but placement of the pump/belt,etc. and the CGM, are things to consider. Also, planning your change out of infusion sites vs changing CGM location.
Keep the pump CLOSE to the CGM. They don’t really have a great range.

1 Like

@Hammer – how close? I am following this conversation with interest (switching to a pump from MDI is always at the back of my mind…), but cannot wear CGM on stomach. Use upper arms. Thanks!

1 Like

I use my arms for dexcom sensors and no issues with pairing with Tandemn.

The only time I really have an issue is if I end up sleeping on my pump.

3 Likes

Usually, same side of body is good enough.
Also, Tandem says to have the face of the pump facing outward, and not towards your body.
I keep my CGM on my outer belly area, and pump at my waist.
I can let the pump move around a lot, but if I roll around a lot at night and get the pump to sit on the opposite side of my body, I can loose signal.

2 Likes

Do they mean the pump SITE or the actual PUMP close to the dexcom? I assumed it was the actual pump, which will always be on my pocket or maybe side of bra like under the arm, but probably not unless I had a dress on.

1 Like