SugarMate

I love so much about it. There is so much more data than the G5 Mobile app…for instance, in addition to the BG’s like you can see on the G5 mobile app, it also stores the direction…so you can look at specific times and see exactly what was going on…not just a static number. So, I can go back 3 hours and see that he was 175 double down, then 150 double down, then 110 double down, etc., It’s nice to be able to see that kind of data.

Also, as I said, I’ve been saved multiple times now with the phone calls. I don’t hear alarms, but I hear the phone calls because the phonecall just keeps on ringing until you pick it up. You also get texts when you are going to have a predictive high or low and you can take action on it.

Not to mention all the pieces of data you can see from A1C to % in range, % high, % low, Flux, etc. Also, because I can see his data on the website, no need worrying about where the phone is (as long as it’s near him)…no running and checking the phone everytime I hear beeps. Just look at the website right from my computer.

Also, you can pinch (zoom) in and out on the phone app to see more data or less data…(24 hours -vs- the last hour, etc.,)

Can’t speak highly enough about it.

6 Likes

That is pretty cool. I had no idea until I read this thread.

I am thinking this would be great for sleepovers and college (which is kinda like one big endless sleepover…)

4 Likes

It’s been a god-send for me honestly. I sleep through alarms (alarm-fatigue), but it’s been impossible for me to sleep through the calls. They are loud, annoying, and just don’t stop until I hear it or my wife hears it and wakes me up.

One additional thing…you can enable anyone to see the data…just give them your sugarmate.io login and password and everyone can see the same data you’re seeing real time.

What’s GMI? I haven’t seen this metric before and can’t find it on FUDs search tool?

1 Like

GMI indicates the average A1c level that would be expected based on mean glucose measured in a large number of individuals with diabetes.

“Glucose Management Indicator”. Mean glucose ideally is derived from at least 14 days of CGM data. The GMI may be similar to, higher than, or lower than the laboratory A1C.

It’s a fairly new term that replaces the old ‘estimated A1C’ term.

The term GMI is intended to convey that this is a measure derived from glucose values and can provide an indication of the current state of a person’s glucose management. “Glucose control indicator” or “glucose management indicator” emerged as the leading candidates to replace eA1C.

Here’s an article on it: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/early/2018/09/17/dc18-1581.full.pdf

4 Likes

Flux A-… That’s sweet, @docslotnick. I’ve seen as low as an F there. Makes me want to rage quit. :grin:

Yes, I’ve only gotten as high as a “D-” on the Flux so I’ve removed Flux as one of the windows I see. lol.

1 Like

That’s where I’m headed. :grin:

1 Like

Sugarmate basically just updates the most recent reading to the calendar app every 5 minutes, and if you have the calendar complication on your Apple Watch it updates there. I believe this is also how Spike sends data to the Apple Watch. Dexcom has its own watch face complication that updates with the Dexcom data, but I do find the Dexcom complication can be a little slow to update (maybe a few minutes behind the calendar version). But you can also get the graph if you open up the Dexcom watch app which is handy. Sugarmate doesn’t have it’s own watch app as far as I know.

Personally I’m not a big fan of the calendar ones because I prefer to see my actual calendar events and have the Dexcom complication show me my BG, may be different if I was monitoring someone else though :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@Nickyghaleb Yeah but a lot of that great looking flux was over 180 :confounded:

1 Like

:rofl:

It was a good looking 180 then. Or 2-whatever. :grin:

1 Like

OK @ClaudnDaye, @docslotnick, we’ll try it out on both iOS and Android this weekend

1 Like

Sugar mate calls definitely worked for me last night. Glad I set them up! Though the blaring phone call nearly gave me a heart attack at that time of night :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I do not gravitate towards apps…but I started w Sugarmate today and it is officially The Bomb. Thanks for the info, @ClaudnDaye! And @glitzabetes!

ETA: I love the estimated A1C value. It gives me constant motivation like a diabetes video game to prebolus the way I know I need to even if it’s not wildly convenient.

6 Likes

Allison, diabetes IS just like a video game these days. All you’ve got to do is stay between the lines.

It’s almost like fun. Well, maybe not fun, but it keeps it interesting. Just think of it as keeping the dog alive video game. It’s just that you are the dog… Can’t ignore it for too long.

6 Likes

I got my first Sugarmate phone call at 3AM this morning. My husband was quite impressed by that feature of the app!

What I have learned is to set my Sugarmate range differently than my Dexcom range. I had initially set them the same (for me, 80-170 most days). But, it appears that with Sugarmate you can’t just get a phone call for the urgent low threshold of 55…you will get calls for anything “below normal”. So even though I want my Dexcom to let me know if I go below 80 for early intervention, I apparently should set my Sugarmate for 65 or so. I got a phone call for a 77 this morning. I don’t want phone calls for a 77. But the interesting thing is that neither my husband nor I remember hearing my Dexcom go off when I hit 77. So it is very possible that the Dexcom alerted, we didn’t hear it, but we did hear the phone call. However, we typically don’t sleep through Dexcom alarms. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Hi folks,
I just installed Sugar Mate on my phone. I’m having a little trouble with the nuances. For instance, I added my parents as emergency contacts in case of an urgent low. They said they were getting notifications when Samson’s blood sugar was 98!

I, however, have not gotten any phone calls or notifications as far as I can tell. I put my phone into “do not disturb” mode at night but allow for apps like Dexcom Follow and Sugar Mate to send alerts, but somehow I didn’t hear any alerts last night. (At night I usually set the “LOW” alert level to 100 on Follow just so I have time to catch lows and can go to sleep sooner).

I guess I have a few questions. Basically – is there a way to enable the emergency contacts with different LOW thresholds than I might use to alert me? Or do I need to rely on Follow/Nightscout/Nightwatch for that first alert at night, and just rely on Sugar Mate for those mid-50s alerts at night.

Also, I feel like I only want my parents alerted in teh middle of the night if Samson is even lower than, say, 55 mg/DL. Because really I only want them to get involved if it seems like he’s been low and one of us fell asleep – not just if he dropped low but we’re on top of it. I am guessing there’s now way to set the configuration for that?

Well, this is genius at its finest! Just tremendous! Thanks so much for these detailed write-ups, @ClaudnDaye! Once again, FUD for the win.

Here’s my current screen. I eliminated the measurement time that fell just below the bg reading. But I’m not sure what the time range above it means. I’m sure it’s something totally obvious. Still, I’d rather it not be displayed. Just more data than I need on my watch face.

@TiaG, I’m sure you’ve already rechecked this setting, but it’s a step I initially missed somehow. Do you have emergency bypass turned on?

Just because so much mention of SugarMate’s notification ability, I’d like to mention this is a feature in xDrip+ as well.

It will send a text message to any contact you select, when an alarm goes unreacted to within any time period you specify.

It has a configurable message, with patient location.

Obviously, any ringtone can be applied to this text message account.

The emergency message applet can be found on the three dot menu on the upper right of the xDrip+ home screen.

4 Likes