Random paths to improvement

In my experience they’re exclusively type 2, and that kind of management can work quite well – just like when they’re on oral meds and take one pill a day and eat to the dose. I’ve not heard of type 1s managing like that, but I guess they’re out there.

2 Likes

Good question. Actually it’s both in this case. The law here is that contraceptives and insulin prescriptions can be refilled indefinitely if no limit has explicitly been stated. However, many pharmacies have these automated systems connected to local GP offices, like you have in Canada. It could indeed be that they’re automatically checking insulin prescriptions like they do with all other repeat prescriptions, even though it’s not strictly necessary to do so.

3 Likes

I think you and I may have a bit of a selection bias in our experience though. We sought out interaction, increased understanding, networking etc with other people with type 1– so that’s molded our experience

There are plenty of others with type 1 who may be far less interested, less able, etc…

Not suggesting it can work quite well, but I’m pretty sure there are many type 1s out there with very crude treatment… like one shot of 70/30 per day and likely not even checking their blood sugars on a regular basis at all.

2 Likes

I agree with this, and may apply more to those without insurance or those diagnosed as adults.

3 Likes