Overnight lows WITHOUT basal?

@Pianoplayer7008, sorry for not being around, I have had a few pressing items coming up:(

It seems to me that, unless you have some unusual hypoglycemia, this could be caused by overdosing at dinner. My son’s dosage is time-dependent: the earlier, the higher. So his dinner dosage is lighter than any other time in the day.

Hmm. The results that showed these lows were from a period of time I wasn’t dosing insulin at all (for anything), so it wasn’t an overdose issue. I’m starting to feel more inclined to think it was just maybe a combination of maybe sleeping on the sensor and that being the longest period I’d go without calibrating, because I’ve paid closer attention to how i feel whenever I’m up nursing the baby at night, and I never feel low (and right now, I feel low anywhere below 80 ugh).

OK, unless you are hypoglycemic, pretty much the only way you can go low is from using too much insulin for the situation. If you don’t have IOB (Insulin On Board) you should not be able to go low.

Now the Dexcom tends to drift up between two calibrations (they do that because they want to make sure that your numbers are not HIGHER than your actual BGm, which would be dangerous). It would be very normal for your Dexcom to be off by 10 to 20 if your calibration is a bit late. That could explain your going low at night, if you are just right. My son often sometimes a bit low at night even though he is not because his Dexcom may be 10 or 15 off.

This is really good news if that’s the issue! Not only does it mean that you did not go low, but, on top of that, it also means that you are in the normal range at night! I am REALLY pleased for you :slight_smile:

My dexcom is pretty accurate most of the time - but I would ageee it’s probably because your sleeping on it - I notice that a lot - I have my alarm set so it wakes me up and I test and it’s typically 90 instead of 65 that set the alarm off - if your not taking insulin then it must be that as you would be tracking normally
Someone posted earlier that their dexcom is accurate apart from when it’s climbing or dropping steeply - that’s definitely the case and no way to adjust for that I find - remember it’s not testing your blood it’s testing the liquid in your skin which is 15-20 mins behind the blood - so when you are dropping quickly the diff between a finger prick and the dexcom will be more significant

1 Like

Good to know! I’ll have to remember this if/when I finally manage to get my own Dexcom…for now, I’m just glad I’m not in need of basal insulin so I don’t have to be as worried about overnight lows!

1 Like