Omnipod tips for 9 year old

Ok yes…like you stated I’m not ready just yet with her age to let her bolus completely on her own, but I’m sure by middle school she’ll be fine with it! I have never head of the loop system? Is that is the U.S.? Sounds interesting!

Ok yeah I’m not too worried about the insertion part of it only bc she is already used to having a pump change and I’m assuming it will be similar! Sounds like they are an awesome company!
Yes just not worrying about taking it off at times will be so nice…especially in the summer months! Yes she was 3 months away from turning 5 when she was diagnosed!

1 Like

Ok well that is good to know, I mean I really like the CGM only bc I could check and see her sugar at all times of the day so that was such a relief to me! Another thing was that her dr would not let us go off of the CGM # at that time…we still had to test her every meal and also if she felt low, or the CGM beeped for any reason, which it did often. So she was till getting multiple pokes so I think that reasoning alone kinda ruined it for her. The dr did say last visit ( a different one) that she wouldn’t have to calibrate as often. I think she said 2 times a day but that was with the guardian CGM maybe?

I have been looking up stuff about the freestyle libre…does anyone have any insight?

1 Like

Yes, it’s fairly new but people from all around the world are looping with the omnipod. Check it out and see if it’s something for you or not!

3 Likes

I had just turned 5 when I was diagnosed. That was only a few years ago. :grinning:

This is a long thread, but it might be of interest to you. I did this for the parents of the little ones. The thread is entitled “For-the-parents”…

2 Likes

Ok thank you!! Any help I can get :wink:

We use the G6, and calibrate once every 3rd or 4th sensor. Honestly, we still use some finger sticks, but that is usually just for exercise or driving verification when the CGM doesn’t seem like it is “right”. So if you wanted to do away with most finger sticks (within reason) the G6 is the CGM for you. Also, if you turn off almost all of the alarms (except urgent low) the CGM quiets right down.

2 Likes

Freestyle Libre is solid, but it’s not better than the G6. I am very fond of it as a backup sensor, but… well, it’s not better than the G6. :grin:

And welcome!

2 Likes

@margford6
Similar experience with the G6. We do a few more fingersticks perhaps. Especially at night if I am bolusing a high BG, I feel more comfortable getting a fingerstick for a sanity check.

With my child sleeping at night, they can not tell me if they feel the cgm is wrong so I like the extra check with the meter to reduce the probability of a large bolus error.

I will do small corrections at night just from the cgm.

And during the day my child boluses entirely from the Dexcom G6 unless they feel the cgm data does not match their expectations.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll look into that!!

Ok so with that you don’t need the PDM by you to bolus? Like the phone or watch would be the PDM?

I see now so you have to carry the RileyLink with you? Does it have to be like right on the child in order for it to work?

Yes. Phone/watch replace PDM. That, combined with “Nightscout” is AMAZING. Nightscout is how you, the parent (or anyone else such as Nurse) can keep tabs on the BG, Insulin, Carbs, everything that loop is doing, on a computer, tablet or similiar device.

Yes, it has to be near the POD/CGM/Phone. It is the radio frequency converter (enables the devices to “speak” the same language.) It has to be near.

Ok thanks so much!! Learning lots of new things I never even knew about! Does you child have a CGM as well? Or does this serve as that…sorry just trying to understand :wink:

2 Likes

No, you have to have a CGM for loop to work. We use Omnipod + Dexcom G5.

The CGM + POD + RileyLink + Loop Application installed onto a phone = successful loop experience.

2 Likes

And as far as the watch is there a certain one its compatible with? Like a series the watch seems easiest to me! She does have a iphone but be nice not to have to carry it all the time

Apple watch. I think you can go back as far as series 2 but I’m not certain. Ours are series 3 because they were cheaper and we just wanted ones that would serve our purpose, not compete with the Jones’s…plus, he’s the only Kindergartner I know with ANY watch at all. :stuck_out_tongue: But he checks his BG’s on it all day, he calls me on it, texts me on it and, when it’s working, walkie-talkies with me on it. We love them.

Oh wow didn’t realize you could do all that on the watch! And yes I’d be fine with the one that cheaper lol! Never know with kids! So when hes at school does he just have a phone in his backpack or do you not need to have to phone close by to use the watch at all?