Omnipod DASH, G6 and Nuclear Stress Test

@PegE Thank you! It has been a scary process. There’s nothing new to report yet. I did see my PCP today. She did bloodwork to check my A1C this time. We went over the normal questions of if anything had changed since my last visit…which is hasn’t except the cardiologist found the arrhythmia. I did tell her I wasn’t very impressed with him because he wasn’t going to order the heart monitor. He offered it if I “wanted to do it” he would order it. But the only thing he was going to order was the EchoCardiogram. Evidently the Echo didn’t even show the arrhythmia because he said based off my heart monitor my heart would beat normal and then go fast and then go back to normal. He never called it an arrhythmia (the ENT did later that day). Anyway, that’s why he put me on Metaprolol. My PCP is still not allowing me to go back to work with the lightheadedness going on. She has me off for another month. I follow back up with her on July 16th,

I go for the Brain MRI Thursday. I have to be there at 7:45 in the morning (I’m on CST). My PCP ordered this test, so I should get results of it next week when they come in. She did check to see if my stress test results were back, and evidently they weren’t. She couldn’t find them. She’s going to request the results of my Echo and my heart monitor so that they have them in office. My cardiologist didn’t really sit down and go over much…just that the echo was normal but the heart monitor showed what it showed and he’s not sure that would cause the lightheadedness, so let’s see what the ENT says…but I’m ordering a chemical stress test.

I had my PCP read me the ENT’s notes today. He mentioned that the deviated septum was probably the reason I can’t/won’t wear a CPAP mask and he stated that he felt like all of this was cardiac related. She said the cardiologist was copied in his notes as well. So, we’ll see what the cardiologist says and does on the 23rd. That appointment is at 1pm.

2 Likes

Sorry, but this is what happens when you have something that is tough to diagnose. In my time working with cardiologists you would see someone like you a few times a year. Frustrating for everyone, because the physician wants a diagnosis as much as you do.

1 Like

@Chris - great! Now I’m a rare breed! hahaha

1 Like

Just like an expensive vintage wine!

@Chris - That’s scary considering I’m more like the “girl next door” type…Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE looking and dreaming of expensive things and do have expensive taste when it comes to some things, but I’ve never been the one that HAD to have it. I am not a “Keeping up with the Jones’” and my husband will admit and loves the fact that I am very low maintenance.

1 Like

So I had my MRI today. She said my pictures were coming out blurry because she had to wake me up twice because I was snoring. After she gave me the contrast I tried staring at the roof of the tube but I might have dozed off again…we will see when we get the results.

Speaking of results, I’m officially concerned about my appointment with my cardiologist coming up on Tuesday at 1pm. I called yesterday to see if my stress test results had come back yet. I was informed they had and she would have a nurse call me to go over the results. She called today and said something about a healthy heart had some sort of force that measured around 60% or higher…mine measured 75% which was excellent. Then she asked me why I had it done so I explained the dizziness and the discovered arrhythmia. She asked when I’d see Dr Asad again and I told her Tuesday at 1. Then she informed me that he would have to go over the rest with me that it wasn’t necessarily good or bad but that I would have questions that she can’t explain.
So now I’m worried about what it could have shown that I’d have questions about…

I wouldn’t worry, if there was a serious concern they would have moved up your appointment, or had the doctor call you in person. There is probably some minor anomaly or other that the nurse isn’t equipped to explain.

3 Likes

I agree.

I’ll keep good thoughts going for you on Tuesday!

1 Like

MRI results came back normal. We’ll see what Dr. Asad says in less than 12 hours. Thankful there were no signs of a stroke contributing to my fall or the lightheadedness.

1 Like

Very very good news! I hope the good news keeps on coming.

So my Stress Test was abnormal. I have been scheduled for a Left Heart Catheterization with possible coronary intervention for this coming Thursday. I have to be at the hospital by 7:15. Procedure is scheduled for 7:30. They said to plan to be there at least 6 hours assuming they don’t have to do stints. If they do then I’ll be there overnight.

I’m sorry to hear that, but thank god they identified there was an issue.

I know a lot of people who had that procedure with very good results!! We’ll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

3 Likes

@jim26 Thank you!

@egreen76 sending you good thoughts and praying the catheterization goes smoothly on Thursday and you feel better after the procedure. Hang in there.

3 Likes

@egreen76 I’m glad to hear your MRI came back normal.

My good thoughts and prayers will be with you on Thursday when you go in for the heart cath.

1 Like

@Tapestry and @Trying Thank you both!!

I do have a question. The paperwork says to take half my dose of insulin before the procedure. I’m not allowed to drink or eat anything after midnight. How do you do a half dose of insulin when you’re on a pump?!?!?

1 Like

I would call the doctor and let them know you are on an insulin pump and see what their response is. Often the paperwork you are talking about is generic and from the sounds of it, doesn’t include insulin pumps. They may not want you to do anything.

Although, just remember, you can set a temporary basal to increase or decrease your basal dose by a given percentage (in this case 50%) for x number of hours. I’m on the old OmniPod and the maximum amount of time I can set a temporary basal is 12 hours. I’m not sure about OmniPod DASH. You could ask the doctors office if this is something they would want you to do, reduce your basal by 50% and ask them when to start that and when to end that.

I have the old PDM so I don’t think my instructions would help, but I found this video that might be of help to you:

4 Likes

As Tapestry says, set the pump to 50% temp basal, and it will be giving you half the normal dose. 50% is just a rule of thumb: the goal is to keep your BG steady and especially to avoid going hypo after your body moves into starvation mode (where less basal is needed).

1 Like

@Tapestry Thank you!! I talked to my dr and found out I can’t wear my Pod during the procedure. So not even a big deal now. I’ll go on half insulin from midnight til time to go in the morning and take my stuff with me for afterwards.

3 Likes

@egreen76 Glad to hear you’re all set for tomorrow and you know what’s what! We’re all pulling for you and looking forward to when you’re able to tell us how it all went.

1 Like