Methods of raising BG without carbs

I use Greek yogurt flavoured with zero calorie lemonade water enhancer to make it taste yummy. Brings blood sugars up within 30 minutes, doesn’t bring them too high, and although had some carbs still fits within keto guidelines. I take very low doses of insulin while eating keto so not going super low but enough to get symptoms.

1 Like

If this really is a keto diet then it permits vegetables, and the definition of vegetables includes a lot of fruit:

(Other opinions are similar). Notice all the fruit? Almost everything in the picture of “above ground vegetables” on that page is either just a fruit (tomatoes, avacado, pepper, etc) or contains the fruits along with leaves/stems (brocolli for example.) Fruits contain fructose, which is metabolized the same way as glucose.

In my experience brocolli raises my blood sugar almost as fast as a glucose tablet. I’ve never tested tomatoes because, of course, I avoid significant amounts of them, but my guess is that a glass of tomato juice would send my blood sugar through the roof in a few minutes.

It is unclear to me what the interaction of a true zero-carb diet (where the glucose all comes from gluconeogenesis) and T1 diabetes is. We lack beta cells and those actively participate in some of the regulatory pathways for example the beta cells release a chemical which inhibits glycogen formation during the production of insulin. This doesn’t matter for the keto diet because it includes carbs; most of the comments I’ve seen here for T1s using low carb diets indicate that those diets are under 50g/day which makes them keto diets.