Meters are ridiculous

Interesting on the altitude. I did check at 14000 on my accuchek and it seemed like a reasonable number (70’s after 80’s at 12000). I won’t make it up that high again until June but I’ll bring all my meters next time :smile:

1 Like

The Accuchek is listed as one of the meters within 5%, so it probably was pretty accurate. It looks like the One Touch Ultra and the Precision X-tra are the substandard meters at high altitude. I bet the Verio is also a electrochemical glucose oxidase meter. I’ll look into it!

Glad you can be our lab rat :wink:

Just tested 8 times in a row with 3 different meters

Verio flex: 152, 154, 132, 122
True metrix: 112, 114
True2go: 103, 100

2 Likes

Same (large) blood drop?

No I can’t get blood drops that big it was several

1 Like

Just go at it with a big ole knife

3 Likes

It almost looks like you were dropping very fast :slight_smile:

Your Verio Flex is way off from the others. You and Kevin seem to have such a hard time with the Verio meters.

They were all taken within a minute or so… believe it or not that sampling actually shows the verio much closer to the pack and grouped tighter than it often is

1 Like

The Verio looks almost useless for you.

It’s pretty much a random number generator

1 Like

Ironically, literally just as I was typing that ^ I had an email pop up telling me my 90 day supply of 1200 verio strips is being auto renewed and will be auto filled upon renewal.

2 Likes

Or use a lancing device from 1990… That would do it easily. :slight_smile:

I’m curious, why bother getting such a large quantity of strips continued automatically every 90 days if the meter doesn’t work for you???

2 Likes

I am guessing he is like me: he set up his prescription to autorenew on mail order, and forgot to cancel it when he figured out it did not work so well.

1 Like

I dont get them auto-filled (or anything else auto filled) but when the prescription is expirIng it automatically gets a renewal faxed back to my docs office for a renewal, so it doesn’t expire. When a renewal occurs once a year it automatically triggers one new shipment, no way to avoid that that I know of… except setting it to not auto-renew, which would then involve the big hassle run around between yourself, doctor, and pharmacy each time you need something

That’s the best balance I’ve found

1 Like

Interesting! I’m continually finding ways your healthcare system is so different from ours. Here prescriptions last a year, but when they expire, it’s never automatically renewed unless you specifically ask the pharmacist to contact your doctor. And then, most of the time, you need to see your doctor (if you haven’t seen them recently) to make sure the prescription is still needed. I usually just ask my dotors to write new prescriptions for everything as the expiration date is approaching so nothing actually expires.

That’s basically the same as here … I think it’s just the way Caremark mail order insists on processing it… and I have it all set up to auto renew so I don’t have to keep track of as much… I set my Caremark account up to deliberately auto-renew everything that I use on an ongoing basis…

The one touch strips (only option that they cover) are garbage for me, but still… I get 1200 strips for $75… actually pretty interesting study in the dysfunctions of the USA healthcare system, my insurance forced me to buy expensive low quality strips and refused to instead let me use much lower cost higher performing strips— so I buy both and spend cash on one … go figure

1 Like

I had that precise discussion with them too…

Of course, what really happens is that they get such a bigger discount for onetouch strips that they make more money from it.

1 Like

Most of the time, one touch verio is fairly accurate for me. When questionable, I retest on backup verio, or with contour next. Generally I get what I think is consensus, particularly important when used for dexcom calibrations.

Walmart mail order does the same thing if you click on the “automatic refill” option in their website (which I do to avoid the hassle).

I think it is kickbacks. I can buy OneTouch strips at Walgreens for $44/box. But insurance bills over $140/box and gets paid about $68/box per the explanation of benefits.

I don’t know if my Verio is accurate, but it is consistently +/- 20 points higher than my Freestyle meter, 100% of the time.

1 Like

I guess the difference is that I’ve never heard of “automatic” refills here. You get a refill if you physically go to the pharmacy or call or go online to order a refill… And then once a year (or sooner if refills run out) you have to see your doctor to get a new prescription. I’ve never heard of a company just refilling on your behalf without you asking for it. Maybe there are automatic refills of some sort and I’ve just never come across them. It sure would be nice with insulin and test strips and pump supplies, rather than having to go to the pharmacy or call every month or three!

1 Like