Ketones - To Check or Not to Check

oh we have those. They expired in 2018. I tried to give them away and no takers. :rofl:

1 Like

I find it hilarious that this comes with an “I love keto” sticker. I also feel $75 is a really high price! I got a free Precision Xtra meter just by contacting an Abbott rep and telling them I was buying some of their strips and needed a meter.

2 Likes

I find that crazy considering that ketone meters weren’t exactly new when your kids were diagnosed. Why are they still recommending and providing urine strips?!?! Crazy. When I was diagnosed, urine strips were all there were, so we used those when I was sick but not really any other time (I also wasn’t pumping back then). When I started pumping in 2007 the urine strips were recommended for me to use whenever I was above 17 mmol/L, even though I’m fairly sure that ketone meters were a thing by that point. I learned about the Precision Xtra in 2009 or so have used ketone meters ever since.

1 Like

You two just introduced me to Ketone meters…going on 4 years into Liam’s diagnosis. XD

1 Like

Before I invest in one, could you give me a run down on how they’re helpful?

So, as I understand it…we would just need to have a conversation with the Endo about what ranges should mean what, for our situation, and then, based on the test from the meter, whatever the range is, you would have a good guess of exactly how much extra insulin is needed? At present, we just go with the “bolus the crap out of him and don’t stop until BG’s start coming down, then hang on tight and watch out for the resulting potential crash” methodology.

1 Like

There are also charts in some books that go over this information. But, for young kids, I’d definitely discuss it with your doctor. Ask about “sick day” rules. Sick days don’t necessarily mean you have to be sick, they can mean you’re having any situation that results in ketones. This is where your doctor may talk not only about hydration but about some of the other things discussed in this thread, such as the need to eat carbohydrates (even if this may mean pushing blood glucose up higher temporarily), how much extra insulin to add to a correction, and so on.

When I was a kid, my mom (or dad) and I went to classes every year where things like sick days and ketones were discussed. So there may be some types of classes you could attend with other families. Or maybe a one-on-one session with a CDE to customize things more to your specific situation.

1 Like

Well, so you can either have a conversation with your endos about ketones and what actions to take in certain scenarios for sure. Also, for us, if you have ketones, you can call the on-call attending endos and they will give advice on how to bolus at any time day or night, whereas if you just have an ordinary sticky high they don’t call you back.

But we just got a sheet of paper in a binder with a different decision tree depending on the level of ketones on the blood strips. Kind of like a coding chart or a flow-chart…but with instructions involving ketones. Like 0.8 or above, take 10 to 15% more, increase temp basal to X. That kind of thing. And when we call, they often suggest things like have X grams of carbs but bolus X*Y more than you usually do.

My guess is that if you ask your endo folks, they might have free samples of those meters. And you can request that they write you scripts for them with a letter of medical necessity; I think they default to sending you the useless urine ketone strips but you can def. request different ones. We don’t pay for them, they are just auto refilled at some set frequency. I think we only get something like 50 every 3 to 6 months and that’s more than plenty.

I feel like doing this is kind of a newb thing? I haven’t asked my Endo for advice on anything for years. I usually just research, educate myself, then take action. So I probably wouldn’t call the Endo at this point in our journey. But seeing if the Endo has any recommendations for Liam and definitely seeing if they have any free meters / writing script for strips is something we’ll definitely do.

Thanks!

The chart on this page is close to the one I was given years ago. Oddly I can’t find any equally simple American chart online, though I’m sure they exist. Of course you can tweak the percentage increases, though in my experience each episode of (illness-induced) ketones responds a little differently.

The Freestyle ketone test strip doesn’t work in the PDM (at least not the Canadian one). Before Omnipod I used the Precision Xtra meter @TiaG mentioned, because it tests both BG and ketones and I prefer to have just one meter.

3 Likes

@Beacher this is great!
What’s weird is that when I call my endo they also prescribe a higher temp basal for ketones, in addition to an injection of rapid-acting, once the site has been changed out. That’s why we’ve called our endo advice line whenever ketones are elevated (it’s happened a handful of times), because the temp basals aren’t listed in our notebook or easy to find online from a clearly reliable source.

1 Like

My problem with these schemes is that they assume sickness. That’s another reason why I never check ketones. I’ve never been given any advice on checking ketones in other circumstances.

@Boerenkool, is the problem that they don’t encompass pump failures then? Or do you conceive of some other situation when you’d have ketones that aren’t encompassed in the ketone guidelines?

Thank you JEN for your response. It made me realize that I wasn’t conveying what I wanted to. I certainly recognize there are now ketone meters. My statement about comparing a strip to the outside of a bottle was a comparison of what most of us were doing 40+ years ago with BS and ketones (precise and accurate control was really a fantasy), along with a commentary on the current technology for ketone meters.
A glucose meter can give you 500 values between normal and too high for the meter to read. A ketone meter can give you only 64 values between normal and too high for the meter to read (1.6 to 8.0). I won’t get into the complex math of precision, accuracy, and standard deviation, but I believe the FDA allows a 20% error on these meters. 20% variance in a 64 value range is vastly different than a 20% variance in a 500 value range. I would feel like ketone testing was much more worthwhile if I had more specific values with a ketone meter. I don’t have enough confidence in the difference between a 1.6 and a 1.9 to significantly alter a treatment plan.
I will also admit to some personal bias here. I carry and store and hoard enough diabetic crap. I remember when Glucometer was a brand name and the meter, case, associated supplies were as big and heavy as a small child. I am pretty unwilling to revert back to carrying anything more that I don’t consider a necessity.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t know what the guidelines should encompass, but the impression I get from reading this thread is that you can get ketones in other situations than sickness. So then I’m wondering, e.g. am I at risk of developing ketones when I spend x hours above y mmol/l? Or does a BG higher than z mmol/l regardless of duration mean I risk getting ketones?

When I read the comments about ketones and children and carbs here, I feel like a lot of people weren’t given a good basic education on ketones other than “they are bad.” I think the basic understanding is a very important part of the decision to test or not test for ketones.
I think we are often bombarded with the idea that diabetes is exclusively related to insulin production (I am going to specifically reference Type 1 here – Type 2 has too many variations and my knowledge too lacking to talk about it). When treating highs and lows, it’s often prudent to remember that we loose beta islets and alpha islets on the pancreas. Beta cells produce insulin and alpha cells glucagon.
A normal body is constantly increasing one and decreasing the other to regulate energy. As diabetics, obviously we no longer produce our own insulin, but we also no longer produce glucagon to release our bodies stored sugar (Glycogen). It’s one of the obvious reasons weight loss is difficult - we are always maxed out on stored sugar, and any extra calories are converted to fat. Likewise, it’s one of the reasons non diabetics will sometimes engage in fad diets injecting extra insulin, or glucagon, so their body releases their stored sugar and then breaks down fat to sustain their body.
As diabetics, when we need extra energy because our blood sugar is low, we stuff food (carbs) into our body. If we don’t stuff those carbs in, and we have no glucagon to release stored sugar, to get energy our body breaks down fat, and through fat break down, creates ketones.
Ketosis is certainly complex, and there are a host of alternative energy processes, alternative pathways, and multiple systems and hormones involved. However, ketosis in its simplest terms is “negative energy balance.” Even though BS may be high, cells can’t use the sugar energy without insulin, the body is using extra energy to get rid of excess BS, and the body has to burn fat to get energy and sustain itself. Add to that high activity and growth spurts of children, it’s obvious that children can experience ketones with BS levels that are much lower than adults and even normal BS. As I understand it, extreme athletes can also regularly suffer high ketone levels with normal BS values.
I can certainly say that I have in occasion experienced the symptoms typically associated with ketosis after a day of strenuous activity, yet still having a normal or low BS level. While I can also certainly say I don’t fit into either category of extreme athlete or child, if I did, I may be more inclined to regularly check ketones

2 Likes

We have had high ketones (almost 3.0!) with a blood sugar of 100 all night long!

Basically, my son’s pump was not delivering insulin all night. But because we were at altitude and skiing all day, somehow his muscles were pulling in some of the excess sugar produced, despite that lack of insulin.
Still, some organs can’t draw any glucose from the blood (like kidneys), so his body was still “starving” for energy and churning out ketones to fuel his higher metabolic needs for those organs.

In that scenario, we checked for ketones purely because his pump was still in the “change reservoir” menu when he woke up. If we hadn’t, who knows how dangerous the scenario could have been.

Anyways, I agree, ketones are nuanced.

5 Likes

My clinic has said I can use the same guidelines when I’m high and showing ketones because of pump/site failure.

1 Like

Do you then always check for ketones when you’re high? And what BG do you take as cutoff value?

No, I don’t automatically check when high – I’ve only used two strips from my current box, which expired in 2017.

Short-term, isolated highs I just tackle with extra insulin. In the absence of DKA symptoms, it doesn’t matter to me what my ketone level is. If they’re there, presumably they’ll be gone soon and aren’t posing any danger.

If an extreme high (above 17/300, where I haven’t been forever) were prolonged, however, even if I felt fine I might check, and then switch from everyday “correction factor” corrections to ketone “sick day” corrections. (Now, with a CGM, I’d probably just take a guess at a larger dose and keep an eye on the Dex.)

1 Like

For us, we check for ketones any time our son is over 300 for more than an hour or two, we’ve given him a ton of insulin and he isn’t coming down, and there’s not a reasonable explanation like he missed a bolus for a bagel or something at school.

We at least hit 300 though at least once a week; we don’t check with every one, just the sticky ones. Probably more like once a month or once every month and a half. We also check ketones ay time he has a fever or if he has a stomach upset, or if his pump site looks damaged or his pump somehow seems like it wasn’t delivering insulin. About one out of every five times we check, we see ketones in the moderate range – and a few times this has corresponded with symptoms that are worrisome like nausea. So that means in the three years he’s been diagnosed he maybe has had ketones perhaps 5 or 6 times and we’ve maybe used a total of 50 ketone blood strips.

Since the ketone meter was free with insurance and the ketone strips are paid for by insurance, and since he already has to carry around a little “suitcase” with diabetes supplies it’s a pretty minimal downside for us.

5 Likes