Job/Internship Applications - Do you say you have a disability?

Personally I said no on my applications for jobs. However in my interview for my current job I asked my interviewer if the office setting was generally accepting and accommodating, which of course the interviewer said yes. I followed up with the context that I’m a T1D and have had instances in school and professional settings where professors and coworkers have not been understanding (like being kicked out of an exam for eating glucose tabs, or my teacher in high school ripping my pump out of my hands (and pulling out the infusion set) for thinking it was a phone, or a coworker yell at me for using my phone(pump) while on the job). I explained that it was important to feel supported and understood by those I worked alongside but that my disease would not interfere with my job performance. I think it ended up being a + in the interview since I got the job. It’s all personal and up to you but I think being able to talk about it in an interview setting rather than a response on paper would be to your benefit

5 Likes