Job/Internship Applications - Do you say you have a disability?

This question, @glitzabetes, has been rolling around in my head quite a bit. Obviously it is, bc I’m replying to this thread more than forum etiquette probably allows.

I found this link helpful:

From the article:
“A person may have diabetes completely under control through medicine and lifestyle changes, and still have a qualifying disability. That means that for the purpose of defining disability, the laws look at how the person would be if they stopped treating diabetes in any way. Usually, that would be very bad. As a result, diabetes is almost always a disability.”

Maybe my prior profession sways my thinking about openness. People don’t do all of the training, and take on all of the expense, to become a pilot and then NOT be a pilot. So, in my grounded position now due to Type 1 Diabetes, it is a question that routinely comes up for me. I am a resource for a lot of people in my setting because I have technical experience that they do not have, but need to understand. So the question inevitably comes up, “Why don’t you fly anymore?” These days I answer, “I medical’d out.” And then it all makes sense to them and we go on about our business.

But did I offer that up in my interview for this job? No.

4 Likes