Insulin pump with large capacity?

I’ve always insisted on a 300u pump, even though I don’t need nearly that much. That amount will last me 10+ days.
But in the past, when training very hard for martial arts, I would have about 75% of my basal insulin as Lantus, the rest of my basal via the pump, and of course boluses via pump.
It would allow me to take my pump off for 3-4 hours at a time.
Something like that might make pumping a more feasible option for you.
The unofficial name for this sort of regime is called “untethered”. It is often used by teens and kids for beach holidays, and for sports like gymnastics and tumbling where pump wearing can be tricky.
I also have psoriatic arthritis, and take an oral biologic (tofecitinib) to keep things under control. It has been a life changer. I’ve had more than 10 hand surgeries to free up various tendons after they completely stenose, but have had no issues on this biologic.
I had a huge exacerbation 5 years ago after breaking a finger at work and needing surgery on it. I still get minor ones, but I can stretch and exercise through them.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is the case anymore. Medtronic used to make two different sizes of pumps, but the 670G and 630G (if that’s available in the US?) only come with 300 unit capacity.

I think the smallest available pump in the US is 200 units with the OmniPod. Though there is a pump with a 160 unit cartridge coming to Canada soon, I don’t think that company has applied for FDA approval in the US.

2 Likes

Correct relative to new pumps. But still many older in warranty pumps using 180.

My in warranty MM 523 died last summer, and they only offered 723 as replacement. But I’m using 180 unit cartridge in it, and they are still selling them.

2 Likes

I don’t think that you could activate 2 pods and control them with one PDM. And if you run 2 controller PDM’s side by side on 2 pods on the same body you probably will have interference.