In defense of a large number of basal rates

I agree, Richard. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! You are the MAN.

haha: I wrote my comment above before I read your full post and then you said the same thing at the end of your post. lol. Must be from where we grew up. :stuck_out_tongue: I used to hear that all the time as a kid…stuck with me.

3 Likes

I agree. You have to adjust based on where your bloodsugar typically rises or falls. i I have 5 rates.

3 Likes

I have always used 24 rates for my 4yo daughter. This has always been my preference.
I track it in a spreadsheet. yellow square is for a change. grey square is just for visual/reading.

I adjust based on observations. e.g. 0.5 units every 4 weeks (growth/appetite I suppose) and adjust based on highs and lows in charts in dexcom. e.g. a 4pm high most days I would increase 1pm and 2pm slightly.

I think once the basal rates are close to what they should be then tools like loop can work better. I also think that once they are good then they are much easier to adjust with 24. For example if there is a 10pm low then it is easy to lower the 8pm basal rate. but if I had one basal rate for 4pm-10pm then all of those hours would be lowered and a high would likely result.

Ed

3 Likes

That is a lot to track and keep track of, but if you are up to the task and it is working for you great. Hopefully as your daughter gets older the effort required gets reduced.

1 Like

Whatever works! Glad you have a system that’s working for your daughter. We had many then figured out we didn’t need so many if our ISF was dialed in correctly so now we’re down to about 8 with most of those occurring during the nighttime. Also we’re pump (looping) so totally different models and methods for our kids care. You sound like a dedicated parent that’s very commendable!

6 Likes