I'm writing a book that includes a child with diabetes. I would really appreciate any help I could get to better understand diabetes and maybe have some questions answered

Welcome to the forum, @Skipper_of_Stones!

• physical items:
    @walkingthedragon88 had a travel thread recently – this might save you some time as I think a lot of what you need in in this thread: Travel!

• treatment
    If the child is camping for a long time, he may be on Multiple Daily INjections (MDI) rather than pumps, so he would have to take 1 basal shot or two per day, plus one per meal, plus some more shots whenever he/she is high. If the child is quite young, his/her Bg will vary like crazy and require a lot of treatment. How old is the child?

• they can eat what they want, but anything with carbohydrates will require insulin – they will need to “count” their carbs and dose for them with insulin injections.

• common symptoms of lows and highs: How do Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia FEEL?. @Kalean, who is posting in this thread, is 12 years old.

• high-pressure situation: something creating a deep low with no sugar/carbs at hand, since it would lead to unconsciousness in a couple of hours, and death in 3-4.

• limitation: none, really, except for insulin and sugar available – but physical exertions are MUCH harder to deal with for diabetics because they need to know exactly how their body reacts in order to anticipate Blood Glucose reaction. We could write thousands of pages about that.

You may want to give a few more details about the kid and the situation – we could be more helpful.

1 Like