If you could "select" children to avoid the risk of diabetes

From Wikipedia:
The cause of Beethoven’s deafness is unknown, but has variously been attributed to typhus, auto-immune disorders (such as systemic lupus erythematosus), and even his habit of immersing his head in cold water to stay awake.[52] The explanation from Beethoven’s autopsy was that he had a “distended inner ear,” which developed lesions over time.[

1 Like
2 Likes

Well then we’d certainly have thrown out his embryo if it was prone to alchoholism too, the deafness just illustrates the point a little better

1 Like

True. I’m sure there are scientists working to identify the “alcoholism” genes for the express purpose of modifying or eliminating them, even though it’s likely those genes also contribute in many people to other more desirable traits.

1 Like

i am adopted. when i was adopted i did not come with a label warning my parents that i was going to get T1D or Paranoid Schizophrenia. you all know what D is like to live with and to manage; many people are unaware about what it is like to be or to live with a schizophrenic. for years it was a horror show and a complete nightmare. thank god there are medications that have made my life managable, livable. i spent so much of my life in hospitals receiving treatments, different medications, and more.

my parents had tried for years to get pregnant, but my mother kept miscarrying. when they got me, i was their golden child. i was flawless in their eyes. they have stood by me through everything you can imagine.

recently, this past year, my mother went for an anual OBGYN appointment. the doctor dx her with fallopian tube fibroids, explaining that this was the reason that my mother had kept miscarrying. now, in this more technically and medically advanced century, this could have been caught early and cured and my mother could have easily carried her baby to term. but this was not known back when she and my father were trying to get pregnant.

my mother told me this story after the appointment with her doctor. I told her how sorry i was to hear about this. she turned to me with a huge smile on her face and told me " Daisy, if it hadnt been for those fibroids, i would never have been lucky enough to adopt you. and you are the greatest gift in the world to me.!!!"

what could be better than that :blush:

16 Likes

Nothing could be better than that! Congrats!

3 Likes

i hope that this does not come across as too controversial, but i would think, if i were to follow this line of thinking ( PWD wishing that they had not been born), that we would have a greater risk of suicides for PWD. and if not suicides, terrible mental disorders, like major depression.

living with D and mental illness has been an incredible, daily challenge. but, what i have received b/c of having these diseases is a strong constitution and the gift of an ability to look at the glass as forever being 1/2 FULL NEVER 1/2 empty. i have a gratitude for life and living that i dont see very often in other people.

i would rather feel frustrations and gratitude, than disappointment and unhappiness. :sunny:

5 Likes

That is excellent advice, even though it wasn’t intended as advice. I am so glad you’re here too! And that you’ve got parents who appreciate and stand by you.

1 Like

even after all these years, my parents still dont understand D. but they try. they will buy some cake that is “sugar free” and i will tell them how wonderfully considerate and thoughtful they are, and then i will try to explain to them that “sugar free” does not make it truly sugar free. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree with what you say. I made a point for the sake of discussion.

When I said ask any diabetic I did not mean it literally. Unfortunately there would be a minority that would choose not to exist. Putting the idea in their mind would, as you pointed out, be a terrible idea.

Thanks Daisy for pointing this out

2 Likes