If My Pump Should Break

I get the overlap, I referenced that a couple of times.

But the overlap does not cover the entire duration, it is partial. Like in the time picture I posted, you can see when there is overlap (two dots) and when there is not (one dot).

(fixed the picture)

The other factor that reduces the overlap is how Lantus fades off a bit toward the end. The last few hours are not really as strong as the previous hours.

Yes, and this is the problem with Lantusā€”you get uneven coverage. You will indeed get points were you have less insulin, but if you take a much higher dose than with Levemir, you should also get points where you have more insulin in your system. You canā€™t just increase the dose to cover the gaps. This is especially true because in my experience (and most people Iā€™ve heard) Lantus lasts 20 hours or so, so that overlap is pretty considerable.

I agree with you, Lantus is tough to use on our planet because we do not have 20 hour days here!

I started getting much better coverage with two doses instead of one, because the single dose was leaving me with nothing for many hours. Having a few hours with more basal than I needed was better than several hours of no basal.

I do not even get 20 hours out of it.

I think it is important to mention that the information presented here is not generic to everyone: all of this is highly variable and depends upon individuals and the usual YDMV applies. For many people, both Lantus and Levemir last all day ā€“ and for some, one or the other doesnā€™t. There is significant anecdotal evidence that Levemir may last less than Lantus for some people, to the degree that, in many sites, Lantus is recommended 1x per day, but Levemir is recommended 1x or 2x per day depending upon how quickly you clear it. The specs for Levemir suggest a shorter average duration than for Lantus.

It is possible that, for DM, Lantus, or Levemir, would last all day. When my son was using smaller doses of Lantus, it certainly lasted all day for him. He is now using 26 units of Lantus per day, split in 2 doses, but it is not clear to us that these doses lapse before 24 hours.

So we just donā€™t know how long either Lantus or Levemir will last with DM until she tests them :slight_smile:

As for dosing ā€“ again, this is quite variable. On average, the dosage for Levemir tends to be higher than for Lantus (see this info here). But this varies widely per individual.

Imho, the guidelines presented by @Eric are excellent guidelines to start with ā€“ you just have to be aware of the fact that they are not rules, but a good starting point!

@Michel (aka Voice of Reason)

This is the key. We all have different presentations of the same disease. Imagine that, people are individuals!

I have been through Lantus, Toujeo, and now Tresiba. I wonā€™t bore you with how they worked for me, or didnā€™t, but titration to get to the optimal dose and doses per day took several weeks each time.

There were circumstances that caused me to have to retitrate after using them for a long time, each titration again taking weeks. Imagine that, peopleā€™s needs change over time!

This is a complex disease we are dealing with here.

1 Like

I agree with you, nobody knows what their dosage will be until they try it. And it certainly does vary for each person.

But it is fairly well-established, that in the amounts DM would be using for her weight, she would not get a very long duration with Levemir.

I was referencing this article, which has details:

Duration of action for insulin detemir was dose dependent and varied from 5.7, to 12.1, to 19.9, to 22.7, to 23.2 h for 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 0.8, and 1.6 units/kg, respectively.

Since she was asking about an emergency basal insulin to take with her for travel, and since her endo told her that ā€œthey are all basically the sameā€, I wanted to point out the differences between them.

2 Likes

Thx Doc, I am already on the island w/ Lantus. I am only here for a week so I will probably be back home b4 I can even titrate

Any suggestions appreciated though

DM

Okay Everybody; i have returned to solid land; land of many pharmacies and many diff insulins. and, if my pump breaks now, i can have one over-nighted to me by Medtronic under my warrantee. (of course i would have to wait to re-program it, so i might just need a basal insulin until then. it seems that Levamir is the insulin of choice. also, it sounds the most reasonable and rational with its duration times. 12 hours 2X/ day dosage. not bad at all.

and just for all of you supporters to know, i had expected my BGs to run crazy while i was away and i only had 2 highs ( both under 200 ) and a few lows (40s ) .

did lots of ocean swimming, disconnected from my pump, but reconnected when i got out of the water (still wearing my bathing suit ) just pushed around the backside so that the sun wouldnā€™t cook it.

i am so grateful to all of you with all of your suggestions and recommendations. i will save it all in my back pocket for the next time i go out to the island. no doubt that i will one day need it.

but i do have a question about these long acting basal insulins: how do you manage your different basal rates for during the night and day? and how would you program your changing I:C ratios and ISF? i donā€™t mean to sound stupid and uninformed, but when i went on the pump, all these options were not available to me, so i never had the chance to try them on myself.

and as usual, all answers are appreciated.
DM

1 Like

The nice thing about an insulin like Levemir, if it lasts 12 hours for you (which generally depends on the amount you are taking), is that you can take a certain amount in the morning and a different amount in the evening.

Suppose you need 0.60 units during the night, and 0.50 units during the day.

Maybe at 9pm you would take 7.5 units, and at 9am you would take 6.0 units.

If Levemir lasts 12 hours, that would give you roughly those amounts.

• 7.5 units divided by 12 hours is 0.625 units
  • 6.0 units divided by 12 hours is 0.50 units

Make sense?

With MDI, you donā€™t really program I:C or ISF. You just take what you need!

but how do you know what you need if those needs change throughout the day? my I:C ratio changes throughout the day.in the AM i need more than i do at lunchtime, and i need less at dinner time.

do you just continue to calculate the I:C s throughout the day?

You can either just do the math yourself. Or there are phone apps that you can use, where you enter carbs and they tell you what amount to take. And you could set those up with different I:C ratios at different times.

Or you can do my method - look at the food and just decide what you will need based on experience. :wink:

and how long did it take you to glean all of your imaginative and experimental experience :wink: ?

my other question about the pod is: do you need the same amount of body tissue that you require with the sensor? what are the introducer needles like?

The cannula is about 28 or 29 gauge I think. The infusion is automated. Itā€™s push-button. You donā€™t see the needle. I think itā€™s painless.

I can get you hooked up with a personal demo.

It goes in at an angle and I hardly notice it after the insertionā€“that really surprised me. I like to wear it on my arm and sometimes I just pinch up around the pod for the insertion if I am at all concerned.

First year before we had the pump it was paper and pencil.

i would like that. i am totally willing to give it a try. i would have to find out if it is covered by Medicare, though.

Daisy Mae, If the question is:
Does Medicare cover the Omnipod, the answer is No.

I believe the crux of the issue is that at least a portion of the system must be considered ā€œDurableā€ which means a minimum of an intended 3-year life span (for at least one component of the system). Somewhat separately, in getting Medicare to approve the Dexcom G5, the fact of the Dexcom Receiver being considered ā€œDurableā€ was key in getting the entire system covered which then allowed all disposable portions (transmitter and sensors along with meter and strips for calibration) to also be covered.

The part of the Omnipod decision that I am not understanding is why the PDM is not considered to be ā€œDurableā€ just like the receiver for the Dexcom system.

In trying to read through the PDF as linked below, it appears that the reasoning for not considering the PDM to be a ā€œDurableā€ portion of the insulin delivery system is because Medicare has it classified as a Glucose Meter? Having never used the Omnipod, I do find this confusing.

But my failure to understand does not (apparently) alter the fact of their decision.

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
DEPARTMENTAL APPEALS BOARD
DECISION OF MEDICARE APPEALS COUNCIL
Docket Number: M-15-582
Date: May 11, 2015

ā€œFurther, we agree with CMS that Medicare does not cover the OmniPod pods, billed as A9274, as durable medical equipment and, therefore, we reverse the ALJā€™s decision and hold the appellant liable for the non-covered charges.ā€

Thomas, i also have AARP as a supplimental insurance.( United Healthcare); they are the ones that were paying for my Dexcom system (all parts) for whatever reason, Medicare will only pay for ONE TOUCH products as far as meters and test strips are concerned (no others like the Bayer Contour,etc.for those i must pay OOP, which i am now doing b/c Amazon makes everything so easily affordable)

perhaps AARP covers the OmniPOD ?i would have to call CCS Medical to find out. but one thing i do know is that Medicare will only cover a pump for 5 or 6 years before you are out of warrenty and covered to get a completely new pump. (Medicare also pays for 300 test strip per month for $0 bucks. not bad. (but i do test so frequently since i am off of the Dexcom. ( 20+ times per dayā€¦especially since i began swimming)