Hypos long term effects?

Hello everyone, I’ve search across the internet and I’ve only found the somewhat ‘immediate’ possible effects of hypoglycemia, like possible loss of consciousness, shivering, cold sweat, even coma etc… not the long term effects… if they exist.

Do they? and if yes, what are those?

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=ms-android-att-us&ei=qSnsXKzVK4-t_Qbmt5_QBA&q=“hypoglycemia”+“long+term”+.pdf&oq=“hypoglycemia”+“long+term”+.pdf&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...37556.49993..52034...1.0..0.173.730.0j5…0…1…0i71j30i10.3pu2ZmTf0qs

1 Like

Excerpt from the source above:

What are the long term effects of hypoglycemia?

Over time, repeated episodes of hypoglycemia can lead to hypoglycemia unawareness. The body and brain no longer produce signs and symptoms that warn of a low blood sugar , such as shakiness or irregular heartbeats. When this happens, the risk of severe, life-threatening hypoglycemia is increased.Sep 7, 2018

2 Likes

I read also that nerve damage can happen as well. scary

Several studies on long term effects of hypo… are reported in this source:

https://www.ajmc.com/journals/evidence-based-diabetes-management/2014/may-2014/the-persistent-complication-of-hypoglycemia-in-diabetics

I followed ardipa’s link. The organization that published this has on their “about” page the following description of who they are and what they do:

The American Journal of Managed Care is the leading peer-reviewed journal dedicated to issues in managed care. … AJMC’s Evidence-Based series brings together stakeholder views from payers, providers, policymakers and pharmaceutical leaders in oncology and diabetes management."

Hmmm.

And I don’t see any results there about the long-term consequences (for the patient) of hypoglycemia.

1 Like

We have had some long and spirited discussions about this topic. If my memory serves me, I think the answer is mixed. i.e. there is some published studies which have shown hypoglycemia to be a problem in older diabetics, and some inconclusive information about younger diabetics. Here is one of the threads.

2 Likes

Drain Bamage :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes