How to estimate your BG meter's noise

Do you feel like doing my One Touch numbers? Or would you like me to go on ahead and take care of my own business?

I made a spreadsheet to do it for you. I can upload it if admins will allow it.

@ClaudnDaye ?

.xlsx?

Yes.

1 Like

Go for it. Should work now.

BG Avg Deviation.xlsx (10.1 KB)

Try this @Nickyghaleb

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen. :slight_smile:

I did it by hand, following your steps, Eric, but Iā€™ll go put everything through to check it. It was disappointingly close to my Relionā€¦ I pull for the underdog and was hoping Relion would blow it out of the water. The good news, in reality, is that they were both very good. This is NOT what I remember my one touch doing, but thatā€™s why I tested the numbersā€” and not just my memory.

1 Like

Well if you want to see a higher deviation you need to be at a higher blood glucose level. One would hope that the low 60ā€™s would be mostly correct. Try it at 150 or 200 to see what it does at the higher measurement level.

2 Likes

EXCELLENT point. Didnā€™t think about that. Itā€™s Friday night and Iā€™m bound to eat something I shouldnā€™t and underbolus, so tonight might be the nightā€¦ :dancer:

3 Likes

I thought Iā€™d shareā€¦ my ReliOn is still reigning champ.

ReliOn BG range 58-67 average dev. 2.284
One Touch Ultra Mini BG range 111-125 average dev. 2.86
ReliOn BG range 243-271 average dev. 7.13
One Touch Ultra Mini BG range 230-287 average dev. 11.53

2 Likes

Well, the average deviation is just a measure of precision. Of consistency.

From your tests, yes most likely your ReliOn is better than your One Touch.

But for what itā€™s worth, without comparing it to a lab draw machine, or a number of other meters, you donā€™t know if your Relion is consistently accurate, or consistently inaccurate.

Suppose you had:

Meter: Tests:
Contour: 78 81 88
FreeStyle 83 86 90
One Touch 82 84 88
ReliOn 65 66 64

In the example shown above, the ReliOn would have the best avg deviation when compared to only itself. When compared to all the other meters, it would be the worst!

To make sure your meter is great, it should be both precise and accurate.

best-bg-meter-precise-or-accurate

2 Likes

Youā€™re like Joy Crusher manā€¦ couldnā€™t even leave me with that for a couple of hoursā€¦ dang.

Okayā€¦ so if I want to take this furtherā€¦ I have to bring my meter where?? OR test it against ā€œotherā€ meters?? Letā€™s say I went with that. How many meters would i have to test it against, and how would i go about doing that?

Hereā€™s my next question. What does this do to my Libre and Guardian data?? Iā€™ve collected 30 days worth of data for both machines. Iā€™ve finished running the numbers. A lot of work. A lot of good informationā€¦ all based on my ReliOn. If I feel, based on these two tests, that my meter is consistent, then it would still showā€¦

Iā€™m not throwing away all that dataā€¦ thereā€™s just no way. Tell me I donā€™t have to do thatā€¦

1 Like

Sorry. :frowning_face:

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your data or your meter.

I just want to give the complete picture.

(If you are going to whine about mansplaining, I will stop now.)

If your meter is always perfectly consistent - numbers like 71, 72, 70 - but is always showing above or below your actual BG, thatā€™s not great either. And because we at FUD love our Darling Nicky, we want her to know about that sort of stuff.

When you go to your endo, they probably do a BG test. Either with a machine they have in the office or with a vein blood draw. When they do that, take your BG a few times with your meter at the same time as the endo BG test and write it down. When you get your results from your endo, compare what your meter said at the same time. Now you know!

2 Likes

I really like learningā€¦ and you canā€™t learn if you are always right. SO. Mansplain awayā€¦

And the feeling is mutualā€¦ which is why iā€™ll not only tolerate the mansplaining but even come back for moreā€¦

I want to know as much as possible. So now, with my remaining 30 or so One Touch test strips, Iā€™ll at least compare my next 30 or so ReliOn readings to see how the two of them line up. The picture part of it is importantā€¦ to be able to at least get a picture. And what I think is that when my blood sugar is nice and stable, my Libre, guardian and Relion are usually within 2-3 points of one another. Maybe 5. And my ReliOn often splits the Guardian and Libre down the middle, with the Guardian hanging low and the Libre high. Now unless it turns out that my ReliOn is consistently running 20 points lower then my true BG, which would change the relationship between the three devices, then it would still mean the patterns Iā€™ve seen are true. But that, now, IS the big question. Is my ReliOn consistency off. First two tests though have left me with higher values than my One Touchā€¦ soā€¦

1 Like

By the way, I noticed you didnā€™t ā€œloveā€ when I called you ā€œjoy crusher manā€ā€¦ I hope you didnā€™t take that the wrong way or anything. :grin:

No, itā€™s fine. Just didnā€™t want the mushy stuff to get in the way of all the supreme knowledge.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So since you called to attention the ā€œaccuracyā€ of my relion, my world has been turned upside down. Never pegged myself as the ā€œblind faithā€ type, but Iā€™m not sure I havenā€™t been doing just thatā€¦

Last night:
Guardian: 156 (triple arrow up)
Relion: 176
One Touch: 156
Libre: 178 (one arrow up)
I can deal with thatā€¦ not happy about it, but at least thereā€™s a patternā€¦

The from this morning:

Before my run (donā€™t judgeā€¦ I got side tracked and took too long getting out)
Guardian: 292 (one arrow up)
Relion: 258
One Touch: 220
Libre: 278 (angled arrow up)

After run:
Guardian: 123 (double arrow down)
ReliOn: 114
One Touch 101
Libre: 94 (angled arrow down)

And a little bit later:
Guardian: 134
Relion: 132
One Touch: 102
Libre: 129
And then immediately afterward:
Relion: 139
One Touch: 135

I looked up on the internet how to test a meterā€™s accuracyā€¦ I was hoping to find something like the one I just did. The only thing Iā€™ve found is taking it to the doc. If I were to try it up against other meters, how many would I need?? And, really, is that even a real measure if I donā€™t know WHICH is right?

After all of this, Iā€™m about ready to bag up meters, sensors, and MAYBE this pump, and send them to the bottom of the lakeā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t go crazy just yet.

Make it simple. First of all, for now and for the sake of calibrating, ignore stuff that isnā€™t looking at your actual blood glucose. Like the Libre. That isnā€™t a BG meter, itā€™s checking interstitial fluid, which has a delay. That doesnā€™t really tell you how accurate your BG meter is, because of the delay.

Just get a single meter to compare with. Why not get the meter that is consistently rated as the best for accuracy, and is also pretty cheap?

Get a Contour Next One meter from Amazon and 100 strips. You can get both meter and 100 strips for about $30. You can probably shop it around and get it cheaper, especially if you buy more strips.

Let that meter be your comparison meter. Trust what the Contour tells you, and see how your other meter compares.

Contour meter
Contour strips

Trust me on this Nicky. This doesnā€™t need to be overly complicated. The Contour is consistently rated #1, by lots of different people. And many people on FUD also think it is great.

10-popular-blood-glucose-meters-put-to-the-test

are-blood-glucose-meters-accurate-new-data-18-meters

accurate-blood-glucose-meters

1 Like

Youā€™re like Siriā€¦if Siri knew everything.

1 Like

Do you mean I am like this?

2 Likes