How to be unlimited

(Make your life more simple by not worrying about difference between generic and brand name drugs… as far as the FDA is concerned they’re exactly the same-- I’m generally extremely critical of the FDA but if they’re worth anything is should be assuring us that generic and brand name are same exact thing)

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry except I have Celiac Disease, so the gluten ingredients in the generic thyroid meds would cause problems. I’m already having to take meds (all of my prescription drugs, actually) with lactose fillers even though I’m intolerant and so is my baby. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I am no expert but I believe that if it is a generic approved equivalent it is the same exact molecular structure
I have never really had to reevaluate that in terms of gluten but in general senses otherwise I know that to be the case

1 Like

That’s good to know, as I do try to stick to generics when they’re safe for me otherwise!

1 Like

What is the generic of glucagon? I’m sure it’s fine. Either it gets your liver to dump or it doesn’t. There isn’t much gray area for glucagon.

2 Likes

Ha, no clue. I’m just waiting for my doc to send in the new script is all.

2 Likes

I don’t think with the thyroid med that the generic is actually an exact replacement for the synthroid.
I may not be stating it properly but something is different there. It might be on the dosing. I don’t think the Pharmacist is supposed to just switch the one for the other with this particular medication. The doc is supposed to be involved to make sure the dose is proper.

Glucagon is another thing. Both Lilly (Glucagon) and Nordisk (Glucagen) have it. There is no patent so you could say these both already are generic. But they are still expensive. If somebody is taking insulin, there should be no question they should have either of these available. I don’t think there are any other choices on this one.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Formulary change: your thoughts on bolus and basal insulins?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Formulary change: your thoughts on bolus and basal insulins?

This is only true for the actual active drug—the fillers can be different, and for some meds (especially extended release meds), generics absolutely can make a difference since the fillers affect absorption (yet the FDA doesn’t regulate that…). I know for some psych meds, it is absolutely recommended (at least by smart docs) if possible people stick with the same formulation for that reason. Also, for people with sensitivities like celiac, it can indeed matter.

4 Likes

Only the active ingredient. The other “inert” ingredients need not be the same. And the manufacturing tolerances for the amount of active ingredient need not be the same, so long as they meet the FDA’s minimum requirements . Generics only need to meet the dosing tolerances mandated by the FDA (I think that allows a 20% variation in active ingredient) but for levothyroxine a change of 20% makes a huge therapeutic difference. Some of the brand names are reputed to have tight manufacturing thresholds, much tighter than 20%. For levothyroxine, Levothroid and Synthroid are supposed to be good.

4 Likes

Yesterday, I attended the Diabetes Summit in NYC. There was a segment about Coping and Flourishing. It was clear that there were several in the group who were in the stage of anger, not acceptance yet. It was a good session because most attendees were interested in learning how to deal with the negative forces in our lives, whether it be the insensitive person who states : “At least it’s not cancer” upon learning that one is diabetic. More helpful would be “At least it is a treatable condition.”

The Afreeza reps were there and they have a program in place now where they can work with the doctor to obtain the prior authorization, and in the mean time, Afreeza can provide a 12 month supply, free of charge. The two reps appeared to be knowledgeable. One of them actually uses the product.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m glad to hear they’re marketing more and better. Thanks so much for sharing this.

The rep was there too, promoting Fiasp.

What was striking was that it was a relatively large event held at the Intercontinental Hotel in midtown NYC, all paid for by the businesses: MNKD, Dexcom, Novo Nordisk, pump manufacturers and local hospitals, counselors, trainers…etc.; all who stand to financially profit from diabetes. The insulin manufacturer was attempting to explain to me the high cost of insulin production. Really? It’s my conjecture that as drugs come off of patent protection, the pharma companies have a strong incentive to provide a “new and improved” product. The major “innovation” in insulin delivery is Afreeza (oral delivery of insulin); different mechanism of action than sub cutaneous delivery. Aside from that insulin glargine still seems “similar” in their basic mechanism of action. Tresiba, though, insulin degludec has a different mechanism of action from glargine. So I would consider Tresiba to be a new product that avoids some of the issues of Lantus and its “equivalents.”

3 Likes