How Often Do You CHange Your Basal Rates?

I use temp basal rates every day, often multiple times a day, to compensate for activity (even a walk to the bus stop can make me drop) or to help prevent a low, and sometimes to help bring down a high. I shift my basal rates up or down by a significant amount (about 0.4-0.6 u/hr) at least twice a month for hormones, but when I do this I don’t adjust any individual segments, just adjust the entire thing (I also often have to adjust carb and correction ratios). I’m hoping metformin will help smooth these hormone-related changes out, because it’s really the number one thing standing in the way of non-diabetic level control for me. I make tweaks in between the hormonal shifts, maybe a tiny tweak like a 0.05 u/hr increase or decrease to one segment every four weeks if I notice something seems off. I also have about twice a year (during fall and spring) where my pump settings all change and I need to reconfigure everything (I’m pretty sure this was the cause of my “blood sugar insanity” thread).

1 Like