How Long Does a G5 Transmitter REALLY Last? **UPDATE-Transmitter Died** UPDATE-New Transmitter ***UPDATE-2nd Transmitter šŸ˜­

I guess Iā€™ll never find out, because I never have nor willI I ever have a Farcebook account.

1 Like

Would you like me to check them out and find an email for you?

@Michel Thank you Michel. That would be great!

But then how do you share pictures of your breakfast with 1000 of your closest friends???

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget trying to impress your friends with ā€œonce in a lifetimeā€ selfies. We here in Oregon are especially sensitive to this since we recently had a couple of young women who fell off a waterfall together and died, and the only reasonable explanation (although it is speculation) is they were trying to take pictures from the top of a waterfall.

1 Like

@docslotnick, done!

Anyone needing that info, feel free to contact me by email.

Well - It is 20 days later so here is the update on my G5 transmitterā€¦ Still seems to be going strong after 169 days (about 5.6 months).

For Comparison last update at 149 days (20 days ago was:
20 Days Ago: VA = 314, VB=303, Resistance 641 Ohms
Today: VA = 314, VB=300, Resistance 766 Ohms

I am going with the theory that the voltage is going to remain pretty flat unit there is a couple of weeks left and then I expect it to decay quickly.

2 Likes

@Aaron, this is really outstanding! So it was not a statistical blip.

1 Like

It looks like my first ever G5 transmitter is getting close to retirement. I am on day 185 (just over 6 months) and I suspect it will be dead soon.

@docslotnick has set the FUD record for longest G5 life at 191 days. My transmitter needs to hold on for 6 more days to beat him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Aaron. Iā€™m rooting for you Aaron!

On a side note, donā€™t change your collector method until after your sensor dies. The new OB1 G5 collector in the latest xDrip+ nightly does not display transmitter information on the G5 Status page. Jamorham is working on it, but no luck so far.

But on the bright side Iā€™m now getting 99-100% collection rate on my SW3 watch using the OB1 G5 Collector.

1 Like

@docslotnick Thanks for the advice on OB1 change.

I keep looking at OB1 and wondering if I should make the switch. I already run a capture rate of 97-100% on the old algorithm with my SW3 so I am not overly motivated to change. Your stellar review makes me think I will change when the sensor dies to get even better.

Interestingly enough, on the sensor status screen above it says Watch Service State not running, but it is running and collecting.

By the way - It took me a few days to get the Star Wars reference in the new collector name. I must be getting old.

2 Likes

Just thought Iā€™d show a screen shot of my G5 system status just before my transmitter died at 180 days using xdrip+.

4 Likes

@Osoblu That is awesome!
Are you using the new OB1 G5 collector? I started using it about a week ago, and although it unnoticed capture rate I havenā€™t been able to get transmitter stats to display. I have to look at the logs and find the line where the stats have been collected.

1 Like

I searched but I canā€™t find any reference to OB1 G5 collector. I looked at my error/event list and it says G5CollectionService. Did it come from an xdrip update? This is what my system status page looks like.

1 Like

@Osoblu Itā€™s still only in the beta versions. You can get the latest nightly update by going here and clicking on ā€œnightly updatesā€. I think the latest is 11Oct.

https://jamorham.github.io/#xdrip-plus

After you update you have to turn on ā€œengineering modeā€ in the settings (settings> less common settings).

But first you need the secret handshake to get that optionšŸ˜Š. On the home screen long press the eydropper icon, and that will bring up the Google voice applet. Say ā€œenable engineering modeā€ and you should get a toast that it is now enabled.

You can now go into settings and place the check mark to enable Engineering Mode.

Go into settings>G5 debug settings and the first choice should be ā€œTry the new OB1 Collectorā€ Check that and youā€™re on your way!

Iā€™m getting 98-100% collection rates with the OB1 Collector. If you choose to use it let us know how itā€™s working for you!

1 Like

Really an awesome data point and result to share!

This is now the thrid report of making a G5 transmitter last 180 with xdrip/xdrip+. To me, this is starting to look fairly consistent.

1 Like

I know this was from a while ago, but I can answer your question as of today.
I got 2 free G5 transmitters when I ordered a new G4 system and was promised that I could switch to G5 when it came out. That was around 2 years ago. Well now Medicare covers the G5 not G4, so after getting another year plus on my 2nd G4 transmitter, I installed the new (never out of the box) G5 transmitter on Oct 25th. It died today, less than a month later, with no warning. The receiver still said that the transmitter was ok. When I contacted Dexcom, they were shocked that it even worked at all. So apparently there is a slow battery drain going on even when it is still in the box. I installed the 2nd ā€œnewā€ 2-year old transmitter today, so Iā€™ll see how that goes.
So, it does not seem to be correct that the batteries donā€™t discharge until the transmitter has been connected.
Iā€™ll report back what happens with this transmitter.
I came onto this site hoping that someone figured out a way to put a new battery into the G5 transmitter and fool the receiver into accepting it!

Welcome, @toddbeall!

Unfortunately, the Dexcom receiver and app will not accept a transmitter ID that has already been used. There is actually a thread on the site that discusses G5 battery replacements, along with links of people who do it, but that only works if you use the open source receiver xdrip. Hopefully someone posting from a computer can give the thread link, I am on my phone tonight!

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the last transmitter Iā€™ve started up to 124 days, definitely past the automatic Dexcom shutoff time.

Voltages look good, resistance looks ok.

Letā€™s see how long this one lasts. 195 or bust!

5 Likes

This transmither was certainly a bust.

Itā€™s only at 129 days and both voltages dropped below 300 this morning and I got the dreaded xDrip+ ā€œdeath is nearā€ message.

For @Thomas in including a photo of this transmitterā€™s box with all of the date codes.

This transmitter will likely be dead within 2-3 days. Bummer.

The photo of the box doesnā€™t want to upload from my phone. I just got a new Note 8 and o guess Iā€™m still working out the bugs. Iā€™ll get it uploaded soon.

1 Like